This Radiator Looks Good to Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tJtylvt.jpg

Weekend before last, had an off roading trip and my Jeep was on the warm side. I noticed the mechanical fan was pretty quiet, so I replaced it. That solved the temperature issues, but I noticed that the radiator was weeping a bit where it goes into the side tanks.

I'm going to be taking this to Rausch Creek off Road park - 220 miles south of here. Lots of hills on 81. I will be towing my popup camper. I always like having my vehicles in 100% operating condition.

On the suggestion of those here, I bought a 1800radiators.com radiator. When I went to remove the radiator from the bottom support and separate it from the AC condenser , I couldn't get it out.

After a while, I noticed that the little peg that goes into the lower support was bent. I bent it back straight and was able to get it out.

Once out, I noticed that it was really messed up! The AC condenser was also bent quite a bit. More than the Radiator in this picture, wish I had taken a picture. I left it alone, just fixed the mounts so I could put the new radiator in.

Backstory - this Jeep was in a head on collision when it was at 11000 miles and deemed a total loss. Significant frame damage and airbags deployed. There is some evidence of the frame being kinked back in to shape, but never had any problems. Doors on the left side and fender were OE replacements, paint matches, no odd panel gaps.

Apparently they forgot to check the radiator. But it's the original ... surprising that I never had problems.

I had to straighten this one a bit by hand and the support in order to get it out. I'm surprised it held for 13 years like this without having any problems!

How does the radiator from 1800radiators.com compare?

Out of curiosity, does the new radiator have a country of origin label?

Indonesia.

Jeep functions no different with the new radiator; I wasn't having any heat issues with the old radiator - I just noticed it started to weep and I wanted to change it before it failed. It still runs at 195F which is the temp of the thermostat I have.

Aluminum cores will bend.... once. Or twice. Its repeated flexing that kills aluminum, since any movement at all causes a fatigue cycle. Steel won't fatigue unless it is flexed beyond its elastic limit, aluminum fatigues a little every time its bent no matter how small the bend (its not really elastic at all).

There's also a fair amount of compliance in the gaskets that hold the tanks to the core. I'm not surprised it held together, but it doesn't owe you a thing and I wouldn't feel bad about replacing it. :)

I don't think anything on the vehicle owes me anything after what I have put it through ... and what it was put through before I bought it.

There's going to be some extended foot-to-floor time on 81 in PA while towing the popup. Have to make sure the cooling system is at 100%. Everything else in the cooling system has been replaced already.

Have fun at Rausch Creek! Rode dirt bikes up there for many years. Lots o rocks, but I guess that's what you're looking for....

Originally Posted By: DukeOfFrontenac
Have fun at Rausch Creek! Rode dirt bikes up there for many years. Lots o rocks, but I guess that's what you're looking for....

Yep. Not too many rock places around here.

Just need to replace the caliper and the shackles and Im' good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back