What happened to Anco wiper blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Walmart has dropped these blades, I can't find them anywhere. Where did they go?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Google not working for you?

Sure is, but when I go to Anco's web site, they list retailers where their blades can be purchased, but none of these stores actually sell their blades anymore. They have literally been dropped by all of the retailers. I don't get it...decent blades at a decent price...let's get rid of them...makes no sense...

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: grampi
Since Walmart has dropped these blades, I can't find them anywhere. Where did they go?

Rockauto.com

So the only place they can be purchased now is online?

www.amazon.com

Order a few for free shipping.

I ordered 4 for the rear of my Fit, 10$ each, the same price as the inserts and they work great.

I always get a tear in the rear wiper pretty quick anyway, 10$ is enough to spend.

Rockauto.com

Wow! Thanks for the tip! They had them on clearance for $1.42 each, so I ordered 5 of each for the driver's side and passenger's side. Score!

You certainly don't see the iconic ANCO wiper cart at gas stations anymore.
48728304.jpg

I imagine their decline is linked to the final sentence in this article :"Federal-Mogul, the auto-parts giant, still markets ANCO blades today. " Just another sad story of a once proud U.S. company ravaged by corporate shenanigans. http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2009/02/John-W--Anderson/1766498.html

I have a late 1940's newspaper article showing my dad, a teenager, standing with Mr. Anderson. The story tells how Mr. Anderson took my dad under wing after he was displaced from war ravaged Europe. After finishing his service in the U.S. Army (11th Airborne), my dad worked at ANCO's headquarters in Gary. I always remember the story of how Mr. Anderson handled a protest, of sorts, outside the non-unionized factory for lack of minority employees. He took all of his minority employees, both blue and white collar, and put them out front washing the exterior factory windows.

I just got a rear blade at the local Chevy dealer for the wife's Equinox and it was Anco. The one I took off was Anco also and it lasted 4 years/50,000 miles.

You can still order them online thru WM and have them shipped free to your local store for pick up. Just found them on there, but as you have found, you could probably get a better deal on RA.

Rockauto.com

+1

RA has the largest and cheapest selection of blades anywhere/
Even after shipping to Canada and the exchange rate, it's still far cheaper than anything I can get locally (about 4-5 times the cost).

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Rockauto.com

+1

RA has the largest and cheapest selection of blades anywhere/
Even after shipping to Canada and the exchange rate, it's still far cheaper than anything I can get locally (about 4-5 times the cost).

Looks like I'll be ordering my blades from RA from now on. I noticed all of their blades seemed to be very reasonably priced...I'm sick of seeing wiper blades priced over $20 each at my local auto parts places...

I always suggest, even to Canadians, to get a good relationship with a local brick and mortar independent parts place. I never pay over $20 for a high end Anco blade locally, whereas Canadian Tire won't sell a blade of any sort for under $30, unless it's on sale.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I always suggest, even to Canadians, to get a good relationship with a local brick and mortar independent parts place. I never pay over $20 for a high end Anco blade locally, whereas Canadian Tire won't sell a blade of any sort for under $30, unless it's on sale.

I don't understand why wiper blades have gotten to be so expensive...is there a wiper blade shortage or something, or is it just price gouging?

Yea who's spending more than 10 bucks for a blade? Maybe its time to go back to using refills like in the old days. Its a waste to throw the whole thing away. Isn't the trend to reduce unnecessary waste?

Sis, Mom and various girlfriends have gone to auto parts stores only to have big, fat, slobs install "highest end" blades for $35 each.
Then I have to hear these people say, "I didn't want to bother you". Darn fools.
I suppose the censoring feature of this forum is a good thing.

Since Carl Ichan owns Federal Mogul,as well as Pep Boys and Auto Plus you'd think they would be all over.I believe the Parts PLus chain sells them too.

I don't understand why wiper blades have gotten to be so expensive...is there a wiper blade shortage or something, or is it just price gouging?

Gouging for sure, plus trying to always push a "sale," and people returning things after buying and wrecking the wrong product. I know Canadian Tire gets wipers for less than I do, and obviously make a killing. They're not heavy, they don't expire, and they don't take up a lot of space, so I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back