Most advanced oil on the shelf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be an unanswerable question, but what oil has the most technology at the moment. Is the nature gas oil new technology from pennzoil? Or maybe some of the extended change intervals from Mobil 1? Also what about the new 0w20-30 weights for advanced fuel economy?

M1 EP 0W-20 would be my answer.

On 'paper', barely any additives - approx. 1200ppm Ca; 700ppm mag; a bit of moly and boron, and guaranteed to do 15k...and doesn't shear out of grade even in GDI applications. Impressive stuff.

I'm no expert, but I'd say the most advanced is definitely Pennzoil Platinum & Ultra Platinum since they are formed from natural gas. My "second-best" advanced would probably be Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Castrol Edge Extended Performance. It's amazing how long you can run those oils & they hold up just fine!

2jfjb04.jpg

Yeah, need to know what "advanced" means. There are plenty of motorcycle race oils that are in the $19/L range and some are 95+% PAO...

Some pretty impressive turbine oils too...

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
CATERHAM Blend is probably most advanced IMO.

LOL, that's a good one.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Which API or ACEA ratings does it have ?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Pennzoil Ultra definitely

That's what I was thinking.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
M1 EP 0W-20 would be my answer.

On 'paper', barely any additives - approx. 1200ppm Ca; 700ppm mag; a bit of moly and boron, and guaranteed to do 15k...and doesn't shear out of grade even in GDI applications. Impressive stuff.

+1

Originally Posted By: dparm
Without knowing the application and specific use case, it's unanswerable.

Agreed. Different oils are formulated for different purposes in order to meet specific requirements that are relevant to a given application. It's not necessarily that one oil is better than the other. They are just different.

The only reason I actually made a pick here (i actually do agree it's unaswerable) is Mobil 1 EP is the only 15k mile drain oil that is mid SAP. (SA .8). Amsoil SA is probably 1.4%. Old school with a ton of calcium.

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 EP is the only 15k mile drain oil that is mid SAP.

Any oil with BMW LL-04, or MB 229.51, or VW 504 00/507 00 can do up to 30k km (18k miles) on European fuel and are mid-SAPS.

Originally Posted By: Jetstreamz06
It may be an unanswerable question, but what oil has the most technology at the moment. Is the nature gas oil new technology from pennzoil? Or maybe some of the extended change intervals from Mobil 1? Also what about the new 0w20-30 weights for advanced fuel economy?

Easy as this is dependent on the vehicle in question.

Without the vehicle, conditions of use, climate etc the engine oil recommendation is useless, meaningless and chasing the elusive butterfly of love.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back