What Ohm antenna wire to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I always thought it was just a wire connected to the back! I want to use the correct antenna wire but I read about impedance,Ohms,75 or 300 Ohm wire, baluns,etc. Here's Wikipedia with article and formulas too for this;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-lead .I currently share ota t.v. antenna with stereo. I believe I have a balun with the 2 spade prongs connected to antenna and other end is connected to RG6 down to stereo with another balun of same kind. Is there a way better setup? I want the best reception possible,short of buying amps and such.

RG-6 is what you want to be using. You'll need a balun up at your antenna and it sounds like inside the house you have a splitter with one line going to the TV and the other going to the stereo? The stereo probably needs another balun if it doesn't have an F connector.

Typically anything with an F connector is 75 ohms and anything with two screw terminals is 300 ohms, don't get too mixed up in that as long as you're using a matching transformer/balun it'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
as long as you're using a matching transformer/balun it'll be fine.
Matching as in it connects together? At my stereo, I have the coax connected to the cylindrical balun and on the stereo side of it, it has the 2 spade connectors coming out. My stereo has the connections that you push a tab down and insert a wire into it.

One of these will get the job done. Guessing you have one on the antenna and one at the stereo.

21%2BtoeHQBpL.jpg

Bear in mind that coaxial cable (75-ohm) has greater loss than twin-lead (300-ohm). There will also be loss in each balun. If you don't need the shielding of coax for local interference, then twin-lead is better in low-signal applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back