2014 Cruz LT loaner..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad little car..fun to drive but the trans is real busy and confused..it has the Eco engine..going away 500mi. round trip this w/e so the TPM has one tire had +60lb.s other 2 +50lbs, and one at 29lbs...set them all to 29lbs. I checked the oil and whoa! semi solid black sludge, called the body shop and the guy said to just take the trip and don't worry...what a shame.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
More reason to not buy used rentals.

+1 when we use to service hertz cars all they wanted was the cheap bulk oil (VWB) on anything that came in no matter what car it was. And they would run it 8-10k miles

Rental car companies simply just do not care. Last year I flew from Chicago to Denver and some others rented a Charger and drove because they were making a side trip to Texas on the way home. He said that when they took the rental the change oil soon light was on so they he called the rental company and they said to keep driving. When he got to Denver he checked the oil and guess what. No oil on the dipstick. Another call to the rental company asking what to do and they said to get the oil changed at a Firestone shop on his dime or just drive and dont worry about it.

I told him to just run to the local store and buy 2 quarts of oil to top off the car and just keep driving.

I have several rental resale places here.
I'm puzzled why anyone would buy an ex-rental car.
Plus the renters beat the [censored] out of them.
I have actually changed oil on my rentals as I had to take 3K mile trips and when I pre-registered I was specific about that on the form and the cars showed up with end of the life oil on cheap filters.

One of my favorite rental cars is the Cruze LT model. It's quiet, smooth, efficient, rolls well, and has enough space for 1-2 travelers. Also the audio is decent.

I've had rentals with the tpms lit when picking up the car. Scary.

have a 13 yr old 3800 GM car that when I ran autocheck said it was a rental for a year when new. Would have never known. paid $3k in 2011 for it.

Last edited:
Those rental companies sell them with maybe 30K on the clock. The purchasers know that new tires will be a future need, and some sludgy oil will probably not have too much adverse impact over that period of time (I know, this is not a statement that should be included in a bitog post).

I'm not so sure if these rentals are all that different from the average 30K used car on the market. Buyers who trade their car in at 30K are probably not all that much better at maintaining than the rental companies are. These buyers know they can drive it for 30K doing the miniumum and get pretty much the same price as an anal owner would have gotten on a trade in.

Well I made the 250 mi. trip to the cabin now I'm concerned about making it home....

You changing its oil? I would be tempted to do so too if i had to depend on it to drive me around.

body shop loaner..they borrow it out when you have them do work..I had them fix some deer damage on my Highlander and the work was poor so they're redoing it..hence I have their loaner.

seriously the engine sounds ok, not ticking or whining but the viscosity is like peanut butter...I hope it makes the trip home 250mi.

I agree the Cruze is an all around great car for the money, interior design could be better.

They don't care about oil changes on a rental car.

Eek. Oil like that spells trouble for the 1.4T. They make it about 30-35k with oil looking like that before going boom. The turbo usually seizes, which makes the car into a 80 hp gutless wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back