Wix : 10k miles? (also comparison question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm thinking of leaving the Amsoil fanwagon, I'm considering which filter to use. I stopped by 3 different auto parts stores today and none carried the Fram Ultra, so it got me to thinking and I ask:

1) So in the educated BITOG opinion, is the standard Wix filter suitable for a 10k interval? Their website says "4000-7500 miles" . I know the XP would have no problem with it and was wondering about the "normal" Wix.

Also,

2) I am comparing FU vs Wix XP since I am planning a longer than specified OCI. Seems that they are constructed very similarly but the FU has the edge in how long it can be used.

I know I know the usual BITOG "use either with confidence" etc and I would. Just wanted to get some more-educated-than-me thoughts and opinions. The Wix is easier to get hold of, as in my travels today it was available at the stores I checked.

I know they might be available at WM but I generally stay away from that place. (Have a college buddy that was a manager there....WAS....nice stories he tells.)

Thanks in advance --

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I am comparing FU vs Wix XP since I am planning a longer than specified OCI. Seems that they are constructed very similarly but the FU has the edge in how long it can be used.

If you care about efficiency, then the XP isn't what you want.

Yes, regular Wix/Napa Gold can usually survive 10k

Napa Platinum is on sale for $8.99 this month. It should be able to do the same 15k as Fram Ultra and Purolator Boss.

If you want a decent filter for a fairly low cost, the Carquest Blue from AAP is a good way to go. I order them to get up to an amount that gets a good code discount (like TRT41, $40 off $100), and I've been able to buy standard spin-ons for $4 each after discount, or less than half the price of the identical M1.

The Wix you want isn't the XP, it's not as efficient.

I always get myself into trouble whenever someone asks for a Fram comparo, but here goes: The company that makes the Extra Guard Orange Can of Death..probably their most popular filter....go take one apart... it exemplifies cheapness....cannot be trusted to make a higher quality filter, even at a more "Premium" price.

So, there's really never a time I'd go with a Fram over just about any filter. But that's just me, your mileage may vary.

Wix/NAPA Gold for 10k, easy.

Check out Rock Auto for your specific vehicle. I just picked up 5 CARQUEST Blue filters for the cars in my sig for 1.42 each.

I was already buying brake pads on closeout so the filters were in the same warehouse and added nothing to the shipping charges. Bonus!

These are the Wix made blues, as it appears that Advance Auto is purging their warehouses of the Wix made ones to replace them with the new Fram made ones. I bought the last 3 of one part number yesterday, and I looked again today and there was another 18 of them in stock again so they must keep getting shipments from AA still.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Check out Rock Auto for your specific vehicle. I just picked up 5 CARQUEST Blue filters for the cars in my sig for 1.42 each.

I was already buying brake pads on closeout so the filters were in the same warehouse and added nothing to the shipping charges. Bonus!

These are the Wix made blues, as it appears that Advance Auto is purging their warehouses of the Wix made ones to replace them with the new Fram made ones. I bought the last 3 of one part number yesterday, and I looked again today and there was another 18 of them in stock again so they must keep getting shipments from AA still.

Check out Rockauto if you don't care what shows up in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back