Am I cheap or? Oil and filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the cheapest brand name oil I can find. ST is the lowest i'll go (Not that I think it's bad oil). Filters, I have used whatever is the cheapest. I use rockauto all the time and I estimate that I have 60+ filters in my stash. I have never had any oil related issues in any vehicle I have owned. I cut and inspect every filter I remove. Heck I filter my used oil and add it to my tractor's diesel fuel to get rid of it... Even the gas generator in small amounts ;-)

Am I cheap or what?

You might be cheap but there's nothing wrong with that if it's getting the job done & keeping your vehicles running flawlessly.
cool.gif

I feel that I am value minded. I even capture my sump pump water to use on the trees and garden. Not to mention the 1000 gallons of rainwater I have collected. I just hate wasting stuff...

Originally Posted By: Donald
Do you go to the RockAuto "economy" section to order brakes?

Yep.

Depends? I do my homework and go from there. I have used RA for brakes in the past.

After much reading here, and after an abundance of anecdotal evidence, my strategy has evolved:

OIL 5000 miles with any name brand conventional, OR
10,000 miles with synthetics.

FILTER Use a good one (NAPA Gold, for example) for 10 K.

If you're so cheap, why do you have so many filters in your stash? They're just depreciating sitting there. Even though rockauto has decent prices for discounted pads, I think getting a pad with a lifetime warranty from Autozone or Advance is better as I've gone through 3 sets of free brake pads at this stage.

While ST is considered a decent oil, it's still conventional, there's lots of discounted synthetic oil which will last twice as long as ST and about the same price. The Mobil 1 $12 rebate comes to mind, just a little bit more than conventional but good for 10-15k.

I drive a lot and I like to maintenance my vehicles. 5K on oil for the most part and the wife and I both drive 20-25K a year. On the tractor I like to change the filters every year if not every six months. Personally I like to get under my vehicles more frequently to see any other potential issues and I like fresh oil in there.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Why do you need our approval?
I am just curious on what people think on this topic. No offense, but what you say means nothing to me.

Your not cheap, your frugal.

I like to buy things second hand. Just installed a used seat in my SL2. Half price at Pick-n-Pull.

You also recycle things. I like what you are doing much better than someone who is wasteful or careless.

I consider you thoughtful.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I feel that I am value minded. I even capture my sump pump water to use on the trees and garden. Not to mention the 1000 gallons of rainwater I have collected. I just hate wasting stuff...

Waste is 1 thing appropriate parts for the car is another. Buying good parts and use it to full potential is not waste.

I do collect rain water, I have 3 large trash cans and collected about 150-200 gallons. In winter months when we have few rainy days I turn off sprinklers a week or two if we have more than 1/4" rainfall. We have 5 gallon bucket in the shower tube to collect cold water before it is hot enough to take a shower.

In winter months we use about 25 gallons per person per day, compares with average of 150 gallons.

I bough all my oils and filters on sale, but so far I stay away from Walmart house brand oil and filter. I think Fram Ultra at $6.50 is a good buy for 15k miles FCI.

Last edited:
I also use the cheapest oil i can find on my daily driver Peugeot 106, i only paid 800 bucks for it, it burns some oil so it gets some fresh oil every month or so, i just change the oil every year and it's fine...
I can only wish that oil was as cheap here, the cheapest 10w40 syn-blend which is what it specs is at 5.60 Dollars a liter / quart

I don't think you're cheap, I think others just enjoy wasting money. I really like the $2 Pronto oil filters on Rockauto. Pronto filters pretty much everything in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back