Witnessed accident and driver running from scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this morning on my way to work on the interstate, a few hundred yards in front of me a recliner falls off a trailer and lands in the left lane. Cars 1 and 2 swerve around it but car 3 nails it and fishtails into the guard rail. A lot of body damage but he stayed upright and didn't look too bad. A few people pull over to help and the state trooper behind me also pulls off to help and direct traffic.

So I drive by and I'm watching the truck & trailer the recliner came from. He pulls over about 1/2 mile down the road. Its an F250 type truck with a garden variety flatbed trailer. There's a bunch of junk on the trailer not even tied down. Beds, boxes and some yard equipment. I keep driving and as soon as I pass him he pulls back onto the interstate and goes flying by me. Hmm, looks like he's leaving the scene and trying to run. So I speed up a bit just to see what he does. At first I thought he was looking for a better place to pull over or just turn around and go back. Nope! He's doing 80 - 90 mph, passing several exits and not looking back. When I realize he isn't stopping, I take a few pictures of his vehicle and tags.

When I got to work I emailed the pics to the local PD. They responded, thanks we forwarded these to the State Troopers, they are looking for him.

Hope they find the dirtbag.

Be prepared to be subpoenaed to court to testify against the F250 driver.
I witnessed a driver blow a red and take out 3 cars, lady driver with unbelted child in the van. And it was about -20F out, which really added to the PO factor. I was subpoenaed, and she was her own lawyer. She lost due to my testimony.
One of the driver's she hit stopped and thanked me after the verdict, otherwise it was her word that she had a green without a dissenting witness.
The thank you made it worth it.

Well played. Since so many people have no integrity, we have to help them have it....

Oh and car #2 happened to be a coworker. He stopped and gave a statement to the state trooper.

Yeah so hopefully between us they will get the guy. Both of us were pretty pumped up about it for half of the morning.

I needed you 2 months ago when somebody dumped a huge cushion off a couch right in front of my Cherokee (when my son was driving it to work on the local expressway), fortunately he wasn't hurt, but I had to spend an hour cutting it off the driveshaft on the side of the highway, & ended up putting another rear end in it. Dude never even stopped.

Kudos! Not to thread jack***

Few years ago im on interstate on my cbr600rr just cruising about 85 90 ish and a charger FLYS by me and I see what appeared like a child seat in the back. I catch up and sure enough toddler in the seat I look down im at 95 or so. Pulled over right away and called 911 and gave description and tag. Not sure if anything ever came about I tried looking on local newspaper sites and didn't find anything.

Good job! Need more people out there who care enough to do something. When I worked in the insurance industry, it was scary how common it was for someone to get rear-ended, and the offender would back up and drive away.

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
Kudos! Not to thread jack***

Few years ago im on interstate on my cbr600rr just cruising about 85 90 ish and a charger FLYS by me and I see what appeared like a child seat in the back. I catch up and sure enough toddler in the seat I look down im at 95 or so. Pulled over right away and called 911 and gave description and tag. Not sure if anything ever came about I tried looking on local newspaper sites and didn't find anything.

Lol what did you tell them? So I was going 95 and so was the guy next to me?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I needed you 2 months ago when somebody dumped a huge cushion off a couch right in front of my Cherokee (when my son was driving it to work on the local expressway), fortunately he wasn't hurt, but I had to spend an hour cutting it off the driveshaft on the side of the highway, & ended up putting another rear end in it. Dude never even stopped.

You're lucky it wasn't a mattress. Someone died when they got rear ended when stopping for a mattress on the road.

http://archive.boston.com/news/local/mas...ClTO/story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back