Initial Vehicle UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I dumped my FF 1500 miles ago. and Have been running the current fill since 3500 miles. (at 4989mi this morning)
The main reason for having almost 5K are due to a long road trip to florida and back on FF, and a long trip to and from new mexico on this fill.

Anyway. OEM OM states OCI 5K miles. I want to do UOAs on the first few fills (Didn't on FF, as I have seen a number of them on the Veloster Forums, all look like QSGB, all have 3.0TBN+ with a 3K OCI for FF.)

I have the blackstone kits. Would yall suggest doing multiple (Say 2K, 3K, 5K) tests on this first non FF? or just wait until the 5K hits and do the first 2-3 oil change tests?

All you will see are higher wear metals trending down each subsequent oil change and UOA.

I would hold off until about 20K miles. There will be a lot of break in going on and there will be noise from the break in metals.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I would hold off until about 20K miles. There will be a lot of break in going on and there will be noise from the break in metals.
this !!!

You guys do have to remember a uoa doesn't just tell you wear numbers. tbn, viscosity shear and fuel dilution are just as important
smile.gif
I'd do a uoa after each 5k oil change. starting at the second or third one.

Originally Posted By: abycat
You guys do have to remember a uoa doesn't just tell you wear numbers. tbn, viscosity shear and fuel dilution are just as important
smile.gif
Because?

Originally Posted By: CT8
smile.gif
Because?

Maybe so he can make sure the oil he's using is good to go at 5000 miles.

GumbyJarvis if you want to watch your wear metals decrease, by all means get the tests. I agree with the post that suggested waiting until 20k...except if you have doubts whether your oil will make it 5k miles or not, then by all means get it tested...after all that's what UOAs are for - to check the oil and, by extension, the wear metals for early detection of issues.

Last edited:
for no reason other than hobby. Maybe the odd chance you catch a problem before it turns bad. Really 99% of us could just use approved oil and go by the manufacturer recommendation and half this forum would be useless.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: CT8
smile.gif
Because?

Maybe so he can make sure the oil he's using is good to go at 5000 miles.

GumbyJarvis if you want to watch your wear metals decrease, by all means get the tests. I agree with the post that suggested waiting until 20k...except if you have doubts whether your oil will make it 5k miles or not, then by all means get it tested...after all that's what UOAs are for - to check the oil and, by extension, the wear metals for early detection of issues.

I didn't see your post before I commented but yeah exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back