ProSelect Oil Filter????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of some money issues I was forced to use my AAA coupon for a free oil change. They used valvoline white bottle 5 30 and a Proselect filter in my old Honda Civic. Is the Proselect similar to the cheapest Napa?? I kept an "eagle eye" on them and they did seem to a decent job. Of course, they were trying to up-sell me with all sorts of nonsense.

Proselect is the cheapest Napa. Made by Wix. Good quality for a value filter.

Also the same as Walmart's Supertech, O'Reilly's Microgard, and others.

Thats good to know. I run 4,000 OCI's because I do 90% stop and go, short trip, urban traffic, ect... I see Valvoline White Bottle is rarely talked about here. Menards dropped the entire Penzoil for Valvoline.

There is nothing wrong with either the VWB or that filter. Should be good for 4-5k miles easily. Especially in a civic which is easy on the oil. How did you get a free oil change coupon? If you have more, I would gladly take them off your hands. Thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Thats good to know. I run 4,000 OCI's because I do 90% stop and go, short trip, urban traffic, ect... I see Valvoline White Bottle is rarely talked about here. Menards dropped the entire Penzoil for Valvoline.

Napa oil is made by Valvoline, and Napa conventional is essentially VWB, on sale for $2.19 until the 31st. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower, and on sale for $2.99 this month.

For only 80c more, why not just use the synthetic?
smile.gif

In the past they were good quality but don't forget Wix is not the same company as they once were.. I think they are now owned by the maker of purolater. I think they are still a pretty decent filter.

nygo, I don't care to search old threads and ask directly.

So I did the search for you - I guess link clicking is what's out of the question?

I just put a ProSelect on my Elantra yesterday. So far it seems to handle the pressure better than the seemingly-undersized SuperTech filter that was on before.

The AAA harassed me about the power steering fluid leak. I add a little every 2 weeks. I'm not going to install a whole rack on a car that has 180,000 and more importantly 16 years old.

Okay. I dont think I would feel comfortable running it in the cold winter though.

I run those and Silvers year round for 5k runs. You can rest easy.

Last edited:
While the Proselect and Silvers use nitrile ADBV's which are often considered less than ideal for winter, I have never had the slightest start up problems with them even in the coldest of weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back