CB install '98 F250ld

Status
Not open for further replies.
After i settled on rebuilding the transmission and keeping my truck, I decided to install my modded Cobra 148GTL and 100W Silverado linear amp in the pickup.

I went to True Value and picked up two Simpson Strong Tie TP37 7X3" plates. I bent a 90* at one end making sure they were mirror images of each other. The mounting surface in the cab is roughly 68*, so I marked and drilled mounting holes for the radio at roughly 22*.

IMG_20160510_230136725_HDR_zpswbhs64yj.jpg

IMG_20160510_232033703_zpsf1ovl8gk.jpg

Brackets rounded off, painted, and attached with four 1/8" pop rivets each. I also violated the visors with a box cutter and hacksaw.

F250%20overhead%20mount%201_zpsngamupn8.jpg

F250%20overhead%20mount%202_zpsojgn0wqs.jpg

IMG_20160516_150837847_HDR_zpswlp3lj2s.jpg

Radio is wired with a 10AWG fused wire from the battery, through the firewall and running up the passenger side A pillar.

For the Linear, I built a 14' stretch of 6AWG red cable with a 20A circuit breaker to run off of the firewall mounted "Starter Motor Relay".
Amp%20feed%20line_zpspbgjd0w3.jpg

The Amp is mounted to the back wall of the cab, just below the top of the seat back.
IMG_20160523_185318280_HDR_zps9q6ybgv1.jpg

Power feed for the amplifier in place.
IMG_20160523_201150731_zpsstnyj3hw.jpg

Chevy van wrecking tard junction block mounted and power connected to Silverado 200 amplifier.
IMG_20160524_110456486_zpsw4faxbvw.jpg

Larsen NMO-27 mounted.
IMG_20160524_112210288_zpsdbnlyqzq.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how many hobbiests still play around with CB and Ham radios? A friend of mine had a Ham when we were growing up.

It is still around with some hardcore hobbyists. Not much local action, but I intend to talk skip and interact on road trips.

Looks like a nice install! Good choice for wire gauge and fusing near the power sources, and I like how you made the brackets. I might try to put some kind of covers on the terminals, but you may have left them uncovered just for the photos.

Ham radio is pretty active here in Alaska, but about the only CB activity we have is along the "haul road" from Fairbanks up to the North Slope.

Why do you feel the need to use a 100W linear amplifer on a band where the maximum legal power is 4W ?

For the same reason I drive 5-10 MPH over the limit. Because I can and no one cares. The FCC does not enforce CB any more, unless someone is causing trouble. Channel 6 (the Superbowl) is full of guys running 10,000 watts, I don't think my 100w is going to hurt anyone.

Did I mention I have coast guard, air force, and other military channels as well as FCC channels?

I will not be using my radio to be a nuisance. The Amplifier will only come on when I am parked on a hill talking skip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Who do you talk to on a CB these days? I had on in the mid to late 1970s but not since.
CBs come in handy riding trails in the middle of nowhere with more trees than cell towers.

That Larson probably isn't rated for all that much power. You already have a hole, find a wilson 1000 or even 5000 if funds allow.

I have talked all over the US, Canada, Mexico & even some islands on 20 watts SSB. I don't know that my radios ever leave SSB. I have an old KL-203 that helps me through the noise with around 100+ watts. My old A-99 is about shot from sun damage.

For the longest time I talked on a 102" whip with home made radials on a base. I think the 102" with 6" spring worked better than my A-99.

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
Why do you feel the need to use a 100W linear amplifer on a band where the maximum legal power is 4W ?

Good memory! I haven't heard the four watt limit mentioned for forever and a day!

Originally Posted By: 04SE
That Larson probably isn't rated for all that much power. You already have a hole, find a wilson 1000 or even 5000 if funds allow.

I have talked all over the US, Canada, Mexico & even some islands on 20 watts SSB. I don't know that my radios ever leave SSB. I have an old KL-203 that helps me through the noise with around 100+ watts. My old A-99 is about shot from sun damage.

For the longest time I talked on a 102" whip with home made radials on a base. I think the 102" with 6" spring worked better than my A-99.

The max limit is 150w. The Wilson requires a 7/8" hole where the NMO mounts are only 3/4". There are a few NMO antennas that are rated closet to 250w, and a teardrop or puck with a 102" whip would perform best. I would rather keep it shorter to avoid damage though.

Brings back old memories of my 1011d base station with 350 watt amp.. Long time ago. Are those toggle switches for upper and lower channels?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Brings back old memories of my 1011d base station with 350 watt amp.. Long time ago. Are those toggle switches for upper and lower channels?

10-4

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
I went with the in dash look. Mostly use mine to talk skip or chat with a few locals.

That's a clean install. Any pics of your antenna?

"SKIP" Is the phenomenon of bouncing radio waves off the ionosphere during periods of high solar activity. When skip is rolling it's possible to talk half way across the world with as little as 4 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back