Brother passed away this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother passed away this morning in his sleep. I did not go to work, and tried to console my mom/process the whole thing. He had been abusing pills for years, and also did not eat a very healthy diet.

I'm surprised he lasted this long frankly. He just turned 56 about a week ago. He had an enlarged heart, aorta defect of some sort, cirrhosis of the liver, and anemia. He had a girlfriend, but had not gotten a divorce from his wife. They had been separated for years.

So it is going to be a little bit of a mess. My dad is incapacitated, so my mom has to deal with my dad, and my brother's affairs. The rest of the kids, and myself are going to help her as best we can. He also of course has no will to speak of.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear this.
frown.gif

My condolences to you and your family. It seems as if you understand, grasp, even accept this with your head, but the heart is another matter. It is still a loss to you and your family. I hope the coming days bring you closer, though there will be dark and difficult times, time will heal. Best wishes.

Scott

I thank you all for your caring comments

I had been trying to get the family to hold an intervention over the last 5 years or so, but I was overruled more than once.
Might not have made any difference though.........
I am the youngest of the six kids, he was the next oldest. I have 4 other siblings. We were born in Honolulu, me in 1961, him in 1960. We were pretty close, and did a lot of things together in Hawaii as kids. We moved to Seattle in 1973 and grew apart after that.

In years past I worked as a deckhand on his Bristol Bay gillnet boat. The last 2 times, 08, 09 he started getting wasted on pills and drink. Then he wanted to start doing stupid stuff with the boat that was not safe. I had something to say about it and left to go home. The next year he promised to behave himself, but did the same thing. I left again.

Though I did save him, and his buddies life. His buddy was a deckhand on his boat as well. That is another story in and of itself.

Sorry for your loss. It seems your heart and head are in the right place. It was 40 years this summer that my father took his life and I am still affected by that loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Very tragic. Very sorry for your family's loss. My lifestyle was similar to your brothers 20 years ago. Very glad I got it turned around.

Sorry for your loss.
I've lost 2 brothers; one to drugs, the other to alcohol. It's just me and my sister left out of us kids. My heart goes out to you and I pray you get closure soon.

Sorry to hear this, I lost my oldest brother two days ago at 59. They are not exactly sure what happened yet but they expect a heart attack while he was driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back