Advice: Odyssey or Sienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a slightly used mini van. Looking for a 2013+ Odyssey or Sienna in 8 passenger configuration, middle of line trim.

A few thoughts:

- I did rent the T&C for a weekend and had it blown me away I would have seriously considered it despite the 7 passenger seating. Needless to say I was not overly impressed.

- I have yet to test drive either but after viewing the comparisons online it seems the Odyssey have the better middle seat in the second row, mainly the ease to store it away. Power/fuel economy between them is pretty much the same. I do prefer the AWD option on the Sienna but not at the cost of no spare and relying on run flat tires. Regardless, I live in northern Alberta and will have 4 snow tires on for winter which should suffice.

- I have thought about the Kia Sedonna, going to check out a demo this weekend at the dealer.

Any advice/inputs would be greatly appreciated.

The Odyssey uses a timing belt, and the Sienna a chain.

The Odyssey uses multi-link rear suspension, and the Sienna uses torsion beam. I wonder if it makes a difference in handling and road feel.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Sienna - no timing belt, so that's $1000 you will save.

Except the timing covers on the 2gr-Fe are almost guaranteed to leak at some point, and that's a $2500 repair versus $1k for the timing belt.

I would still choose the Sienna to avoid the VCM, but you need to pick your poison.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Sienna - no timing belt, so that's $1000 you will save.

Except the timing covers on the 2gr-Fe are almost guaranteed to leak at some point, and that's a $2500 repair versus $1k for the timing belt.

I would still choose the Sienna to avoid the VCM, but you need to pick your poison.

You can easily bypass the VCM on an Odyssey.

I really dont get the issue with a belt. Chains do wear and cause permanent timing offset, which should be remediated with woodruff keys. Chains arent immune, and as you point out, the leaks can be more costly.

Its more or less six in one, half dozen in the other. We liked the way a lower trim odyssey was decked out compared to the Sienna, and certain other elements like the quality of the rear seats and such were better on the Odyssey. Plus we got a better deal. If we had bought a sienna, besides the fact that there were a few things we didnt prefer as compared to the Odyssey, all in all we would have been happy.

Our 2010 Sienna has been pretty good (I know that it's older than what you're looking at, but it's got the same engine). It's got 115k on it now.

It needed an exterior door handle about a year ago.

It needed a repair to the VVT system at about 100k.

The AC must have a leak because it's not working very well this year.

It had the radio replaced under warranty.

All the rear lightbulbs are TERRIBLE to get to. Replace them all when you are there.

The 2gr-fe is a nice engine. Plenty of power in the Sienna. It still gets fairly good MPGs.

IMHO, Sienna.
Why?
2GR-FE. No timing belt or VCM. Lots of power and low end while still being efficient. Friends of mine have 2012ish Sienna and they drive the [censored] out of it. It still runs great! My cousins have an Odyssey and it drives well, but the VCM is noisy and is not seamless. Also, the Sienna is quieter.
But in the end it all comes down to what suits you better. A better deal is an easy way to decide.

I am a little behind on the current Japanese motors. Can you guys fill me in, what is the VCM? Also was not aware of the belt on Honda and chain on Toyota. How is the current auto transmission in the Odyssey?

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Our 2010 Sienna has been pretty good (I know that it's older than what you're looking at, but it's got the same engine). It's got 115k on it now.

It needed an exterior door handle about a year ago.

It needed a repair to the VVT system at about 100k.

The AC must have a leak because it's not working very well this year.

It had the radio replaced under warranty.

All the rear lightbulbs are TERRIBLE to get to. Replace them all when you are there.

The 2gr-fe is a nice engine. Plenty of power in the Sienna. It still gets fairly good MPGs.

In regards to the VVT cam gear... What type of oil are you running? Synthetic or conventional?

Originally Posted By: Barwich
I am a little behind on the current Japanese motors. Can you guys fill me in, what is the VCM? Also was not aware of the belt on Honda and chain on Toyota. How is the current auto transmission in the Odyssey?

VCM link is here. It's Honda's Variable Cylinder management.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Cylinder_Management

I would go for the Sienna. I had a 98 Sienna and went to a 2015 Grand Caravan. I wanted the stow n go.

I just bought a used 2012 Odyssey about two months ago and I'm quite happy with it. For me, it also came down to the Odyssey or Sienna. I drove both of them and acceleration was about the same. The Sienna seemed a little quieter, but not enough to make much of a difference. The steering on both minivans were forgettable (Hey, they're minivans!), but the Odyssey's suspension did feel more taught going around the corners. The Sienna tended to dip and wallow on the turns. To me, the biggest difference between the two minivans was the quality of the interior. The interior of the Odyssey is way better than the Sienna. The Sienna had way too much hard plastics and not enough soft-to-touch surfaces for my taste. That was basically the clincher for me.
You really should just go test drive both vehicles (at the same time if at all possible) and see for yourself which one you like better. Don't know if you have them up there, but I tested both vehicles at Carmax. I tested each one right after the other just so the the first vehicle was still fresh on my mind when I tested the second one. For what it's worth, I vote for the Odyssey!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Barwich

VCM ISSUES
"On certain Honda vehicles equipped with V6 engines with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM-2) , the cycling of the cylinders under certain drive conditions allows for spark plug cooling, which may result in carbon fouling of the spark plugs. . When the fouling becomes severe, the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) will come on, and one or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304) will be stored in the vehicles Powertrain Control Module."

"Honda put out a very complex and sketchy system and used consumer vehicles as a test bed.
When it came to light there were serious issues they scrambled like mad to correct them and created new issues.
Instead of shelving it till they got it right and losing a few CAFE credits they foisted it once again on the consumer."

"Some early VCM-1 had burnt on deposit and varnish issues caused by excessive heating of the front bank in eco mode.
This caused hard sludge that clogged the internal PCV system and made matters even worse.
Changing the oil at OLM or 7500 mi didn't help, no PVC valve maintenance was recommended by Honda, oil and fuel additives are taboo says Honda so where exactly is the lax maintenance?

"Some VCM-2 engines have carbon problems, still no PCV maintenance or additive recommendation AFAIK.
Again what lack of maintenance? I don't know anything you can do to prevent carbon buildup and stay within their maintenance guidelines."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3284911/Can_Honda_VCM_problems_be_fixe

LA2318616.4
218800-10002
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
A federal court authorized this notice.
T his is not a solicitation from a lawyer.
If you are a current or former owner or lessee of any of the following Honda
vehicles
equipped with a 6-cylinder
(“V6”)
engine with Variable Cylinder Management
(“VCM-2”) you could receive benefits from
a class action settlement concerning
Engine Misfire
including a limited warranty extension and reimbursement of Out-
Of-Pocket Expenses for Engine Misfire-related repairs:

2008-2012 Honda Accord;

2008-2013 Honda Odyssey;

2009-2013 Honda Pilot;

2010-2011 Honda Accord Crosstour; or 2012 Honda Crosstour

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA913971022.PDF

"2009 Honda Accord 4dr Sedan

271-horsepower 3.5L V6 5-speed automatic FWD
68000 mi Fouled spark plugs. Burning oil. Related to Honda VCM lawsuit for V6 engines.
70000 mi Accord will randomly start running very rough (sounds like it is running on 5 cylinders, check-engine light comes on, but there is no code on ODB port.
78300 mi Excessive oil burning (1 qt every 1,000 miles) and scored cylinders. Replaced entire short block.
51300 mi Engine cylinder / spark plug failure
99300 mi

US $250 Plugs misfiring
66000 mi Engine was replaced at 61K miles for cylinder damage after 7+ instances of the engine light coming on when two of the cylinders shut off and stayed off. Now I am getting a shutter/vibration that reverbrates in cabin
70000 mi

US $350 Severe misfire. Dealer found low oil, said this was the cause, installed a software update and charged me four hours of labor. I later found a TSB about this issue. Dealer said TSBs are not warranty issues, no refund.
81700 mi

US $150 Severe misfire. Dealer said #3 plug fouled. Replaced plug, problem solved.
120300 mi After denying for 3 years that there was a problem with V6's misfiring badly Honda, after being sued, disassembled the engine and replaced 3 front piston ring sets w/2 pages of other parts. $3000. + easily. No charge. Justice, finally.
16000 mi moderate - severe engine shake / stumble at idle. after a 30 mile drive.
15000 mi White smoke came out of the tail pipe when starting the morning before. They found that the engine is burning oil. They have a bulletin that says they have seen this problem with the V6 engines and do not have a fix for it yet.
33000 mi The computer had to be reprogrammed because the old program caused excessive oil consumption and fauled the plugs. Plugs were replaced.
72000 mi

US $127 Engine was misfiring causing the check engine light and VSA lights to come on. Dealer replaced the #3 cylindar spark plug.
96000 mi

US $750 Dealer replaced the piston rings on the 1st thru 3rd cylinders due to the spark plugs failing for the 3rd time and allowing oil to by pass the rings and burning the oil. Adjusted valves since they were a bit off and because engine was already apart due to the piston ring repair. "

http://www.truedelta.com/2009-Honda-Accord/engine-problems-108

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back