Should I be concerned that Opera is China owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a security standpoint, should I be concerned that Opera web browser is owned by multiple Chinese companies?

I was interested in switching to Opera again(from IE) until I found this out.

I like their new HTTP built in proxy, but if that info is being spied on by Chinese interest, I am not sure!

Yes.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
From a security standpoint, should I be concerned that Opera web browser is owned by multiple Chinese companies?

I was interested in switching to Opera again(from IE) until I found this out.

I like their new HTTP built in proxy, but if that info is being spied on by Chinese interest, I am not sure!

It is closed source, so who knows what the developers throw in there. It does not matter whether it is individuals or the Chinese or the Americans and their NSA: If the source code is not open, you simply do not know what is going on under the hood.

From a technological standpoint it is based on Chromium so it's underlying base is a known quantity, at least.

Last edited:
No. Unless you have something to hide it is not worth the time or effort to avoid being tracked and datamined on the Internet. If Opera doesn't do it, Google will when you search for something, or another site will put a tracking cookie on your browsing. Am I happy about it? No! Is there anything I can do about it? No, unless I want to live my life offline.

Personally, it would give me pause. I wouldn't use it. TOR Browser is pretty good, but not foolproof. For browsing, it is safe, but if you enter your credentials somewhere, you can be exposed.

If you're really paranoid, use TOR and a VPN.

Quote:

No. Unless you have something to hide

Like my bank account password?

China (the government) seems to be well invested in electronic theft of all sorts of info in violation of international law. I don't have a problem using a closed source browser from a US or Western country, but would pause at using one from a deceptive country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
It is closed source, so who knows what the developers throw in there. It does not matter whether it is individuals or the Chinese or the Americans and their NSA: If the source code is not open, you simply do not know what is going on under the hood.

Exactly. I don't use proprietary software unless there's a really good reason. I can't see any good reason for using a proprietary browser, from any company.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
No. Unless you have something to hide it is not worth the time or effort to avoid being tracked and datamined on the Internet. If Opera doesn't do it, Google will when you search for something, or another site will put a tracking cookie on your browsing. Am I happy about it? No! Is there anything I can do about it? No, unless I want to live my life offline.

???????

There sure is something you can do about it: Install Ublock Origin and put an end to trackers, ad-tags, 3rd party cookies, social media tags, analytics and more.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
No. Unless you have something to hide it is not worth the time or effort to avoid being tracked and datamined on the Internet.

ugh, not this reply.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
If you are looking for a secure web browser take a look at Comodo
Dragon Internet Browser.

Link To the Comodo Dragon Browser.

I use it along with a paid version of Malwarebytes & the default Windows Security Software. Have had no issues regarding any security problems.

I used the browser you suggested for two days. It is a little slower than Chrome. I don't know if it has something to do with the program going through their server or what. I deleted it.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
If you are looking for a secure web browser take a look at Comodo
Dragon Internet Browser.

Link To the Comodo Dragon Browser.

I use it along with a paid version of Malwarebytes & the default Windows Security Software. Have had no issues regarding any security problems.

I used the browser you suggested for two days. It is a little slower than Chrome. I don't know if it has something to do with the program going through their server or what. I deleted it.

Uncheck the DNS routing option. It is the same code as chrome. It also comes with some plugins you may not want or need. Remove those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back