Completing your 80% lower receiver manually

Status
Not open for further replies.
80% Arms Instructional Video

Some Guy on YouTube Following the Instructions

I think I like the manually finished concept better. You get to use a cool jig and some power tools.
smile.gif

Saves $1500 on the CNC machine. Those cheap mini mills would probably be pretty good for little projects like this.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Saves $1500 on the CNC machine. Those cheap mini mills would probably be pretty good for little projects like this.

You're about $1500 into a mini-mill once you get it tooled up properly, if you want a professional looking job. It will also be capable for so much more.

The best is to use a CNC mill with a good program but with care a great job can be done with a big drill press and a good jig. The huge problem in my opinion is that the commercial manufactures of the mil spec forgings hard anodize the lower after it is machined and the hard anodizing is about as hard as Sapphire or Ruby I really can't remember which. Plus the anodizing makes trigger pins holes smaller to make a better feel on the trigger. The way around the trigger pin slop and wear are over sized KNS anti rotate pin kit. Over sized pins are great on any AR and when using them on a factory done milspec anodized lowers or complete rifles. The anti rotation is not needed, just over sized. The in my opinion Giselle triggers work well is because they come with over sized pins.
How do I know this about 80% lowers is because the house about a 1/4 mile away was rented by 5 guys that went to a Christian College in the area and they were wonderful guys . I wish all the Young adults were like them. I helped them with the first two and they instantly mastered the process made a bunch of others for themselves and we worked out the pin fit and coating. I really miss visiting with them.

Would love to build a 80% AR setup, just doubt we should be spending the money. What would one want to budget for this project for a solid, but not fancy, build? Not including tools let say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back