Still Fs55r experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have acquired a used Stihl Fs55r from taking over my father in laws house after he passed a couple years back. I finally got around to digging it out of storage a few weeks ago and threw in a 50:1 mixture and I kid you not, it started up after a couple pulls after sitting for at least 3 years. I've burned through two tanks so far and it runs beautiful, always starts on the 2nd pull when cold

Just wondering what maintanence is required for this to keep it running strong? Very impressed with this machine, tons of power for my 1/4 acre property. Just finished going through 4-5 foot tall weeds along the outside of the property and it tackled it like a champ. Like to keep this as long as possible since I know they don't make this model anymore

I have one and like it. I wish it had a longer shaft though.

They do and don't still make it. That motor design is used on a ton of stuff still produced. The newer models are the same basic machine.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
1. Stop by your local Stihl dealer and get a tube of this; it'll thread right onto the gearbox/head: http://www.stihl.com/stihl-superlub-fs.aspx

2. Any problems with these are mostly fuel related. Keep the gas in it fresh (or can fuel if you're not running too much); 89 octane (mid-grade) is the recommended minimum.

Thanks for the link, I'll go pick up a tube for sure

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
I use shell 91 octane ethanol free gas for the mix

Ethanol free gas is a must. If you can't find ethanol free gas in your area, then spend the extra and buy pre-mix.

I have an FS55RC. It just celebrated it's 10th anniversary by having to have the carburetor replaced. When I picked it up from the shop I asked if there was anything I can do to prevent this from happening again. The tech told me to use only ethanol free gas. I have since received the same advice from a number of sources.

Last weekend I used the trimmer for the first time after getting it back from the shop. Per the instructions I had been given, I used 50:1 mix made with ethanol free gas. The trimmer ran great. It had more power than it has had in a very long time. The engine ran even.

I made the same fuel switch in the leaf blower. It also ran better than it has for some time. All my small engine tools are now getting only ethanol free gas.

except for fuel, the only other annual maintenance I have done is greasing the head, as has already been recommended. That and adjust the carburetor settings every couple years. The first spark plug lasted 9 years before I had to replace it. These are great machines. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
How does the FS55 differ from the FS56?

Slightly lighter, 0.1 more hp and easy start

Also cant grease the head using that tube of lube shown in this thread. I have a 56 and love it, though its my first Stihl so I have nothing to compare it to.

Owned one many years lots of power just the vibration probably the worst thing about it after a hour or two can't open your hands.

Yea I don't mind the vibration, cleared out the ditch area around the house for about 45 min without gloves and felt ok after. Arm was a bit stiff after lol

Btw, the oil I'm using is Canadian tires brand motomaster 2 cycle oil for air cooled engines. Always heard great things about their house brand oil, it's supplied by a bigger company like Exxon. Runs awesome and very little smoke at all.

Btw, the oil I'm using is Canadian tires brand motomaster 2 cycle oil for air cooled engines. Always heard great things about their house brand oil, it's supplied by a bigger company like Exxon. Runs awesome and very little smoke at all.

I can't speak about the Canadian Tire store brand. I do know that on a couple occasions I have used Echo and Husqvarna 2 cycle oil. Neither my Stihl FS55 string trimmer nor my BG85 leaf blower liked either of them. It's hard to imagine why 2 cycle oil would make a difference. But I only use Stihl synthetic now. Especially after Stihl gave me a longer warranty on by chain saw when I bought a 6-pack of synthetic 2 cycle oil at the time of purchase of the chain saw.

What exactly were they doing? Hard starting or performance?

Mine starts on the first or second pull every time so far, used it multiple times, it seems to like this oil so far

If I had bought new and was offered that deal I would jump on it but it's a free trimmer that I wasn't even sure would run so I just ran out and bought some cheap oil mixed it. Was shocked it ran so good after sitting so long. Just from some brief research on this oil it seems to be highly praised by most who use it and it's cheap lol

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
The 56 is easy start.
Originally Posted By: 97f150

Also cant grease the head using that tube of lube shown in this thread. I have a 56 and love it, though its my first Stihl so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: slomo
I'd get an Echo over a Stihl. Lighter, less vibes and last longer.

slomo

<----- Did not read OP.

Originally Posted By: slomo
I'd get an Echo over a Stihl. Lighter, less vibes and last longer.

slomo
could care less but thanks

What exactly were they doing? Hard starting or performance?

Mine starts on the first or second pull every time so far, used it multiple times, it seems to like this oil so far

If I had bought new and was offered that deal I would jump on it but it's a free trimmer that I wasn't even sure would run so I just ran out and bought some cheap oil mixed it. Was shocked it ran so good after sitting so long. Just from some brief research on this oil it seems to be highly praised by most who use it and it's cheap lol

Not as much power. Engine doesn't rev as well with Echo or Husqvarna oil. I can't explain why. I've got one more bottle of Echo oil in my supply cabinet. It will stay there until I find someone to give it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back