Thoughts on buying a car with a rebuilt title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I found a really nice '14 Forester 2.5i on Craigslist, it's a touring edition completely decked out with all the options and 47k on the clock. MSRP is somewhere around 22,000+ and he's asking 15,500. He says it is a rebuilt title that he purchased from an auction and fixed himself. It was supposedly a side swipe accident on the front end (driver's side). He claims no frame damage and the front bumper cover fender, and door was repainted. Is it plausible a car would be totaled out and end up as a rebuilt title if it really was just cosmetic damage?

I am going to look at the car on Saturday, what are some thoughts on what I should look for?

Thanks

Last edited:
It totally kills the resale and negates the factory warranty.

This is from the Subaru site:
http://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2016.html
Quote:
Cars Ineligible for Warranty Coverage

The vehicle is not eligible for warranty coverage if the vehicle identification number is altered or cannot be read; if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes; if the vehicle has been dismantled, destroyed or changed in such a manner that constitutes a material alteration of its original construction; if the odometer mileage has been changed so that mileage cannot be readily determined.

So, only buy it if resale doesn't matter.

To me, it would be OK for a cheap commuter that I planned to keep until it had very little value. But to spend $15k on a car with a salvage title? No thanks.

Okay thanks, if I buy it, the intention is to keep it as long as possible.

Also, warranty on these cars is only like 3 years right?

Originally Posted By: 7055

The powertrain warranty is 5-year/60k miles.

Well, it's not on the car you're considering, because it's ineligible for warranty coverage.

Not to be an armchair internet expert, but I would seriously consider if it's a good idea to drop $15k on a salvage vehicle.

If it's truly worth that much, that would take some significant non-structural, cosmetic damage to total it.

I wouldn't have a problem buying a vehicle with a rebuilt title but only if I knew a reputable shop did the rebuild. If you are unsure you can take it to a body shop to have it inspected and start negotiations from there. If the seller doesn't want to let you get it inspected at a shop you trust then that is a big red flag.

1. it is one of those oil burning engines. someone said they fixed it in 2015 but i would be skeptical even then. in short, its already a dud just from that.
2. the market is vast and wide at $14k without salvage titles, keep shopping.

I'd get it checked out professionally if you are serious about it.
How much is a clean title '14 Forester with 50k? Can't be much more than this.

The real problem is that they're never fixed as well as they claim and then when you encounter problems, it will be weird ones that no one else has because the wreck caused it. Stuff like electrical problems, bad grounds, some parts that may have been slightly damaged, but will fail sooner rather than later.

Also some makers have extended factory warranties for various problems, but those won't apply to rebuilt cars. If there's a recall though, I think they have to fix it regardless of whether it's rebuilt or not.

As others said, stay away. Rebuilt is only good if it's a sub $5k car and it doesn't really matter as any little accident will total it. And why are you quoting MSRP? That's meaningless, are you quoting current KBB or nadaguide? Rebuilt should be at least 20-40% off current retail.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

The real problem is that they're never fixed as well as they claim and then when you encounter problems, it will be weird ones that no one else has because the wreck caused it. Stuff like electrical problems, bad grounds, some parts that may have been slightly damaged, but will fail sooner rather than later.

Also some makers have extended factory warranties for various problems, but those won't apply to rebuilt cars. If there's a recall though, I think they have to fix it regardless of whether it's rebuilt or not.

As others said, stay away. Rebuilt is only good if it's a sub $5k car and it doesn't really matter as any little accident will total it. And why are you quoting MSRP? That's meaningless, are you quoting current KBB or nadaguide? Rebuilt should be at least 20-40% off current retail.

I mean KBB not MSRP, car cost close to 30k new, MSRP now would be around low 20s if not for the rebuild

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'd get it checked out professionally if you are serious about it.
How much is a clean title '14 Forester with 50k? Can't be much more than this.

KBB is around 22 to 23K

I mean KBB not MSRP, car cost close to 30k new, MSRP now would be around low 20s if not for the rebuild

There's a sucker born every minute.

I've thought about buying rebuilt before as the pricing is always attractive. But after doing the research, decided against it. It can cost you more than you save. The forums are filled with posts from people who bought rebuilt and no one can help them because they get such weird problems. Then you're stuck at the dealer trying to fix it and they have no clue too because it's a strange problem that they don't normally encounter. But they'll be happy to bill you $100+ per hour trying to figure it out.

I guess if you can trust the guy 100%, then there isn't too much danger in that. But if he's lying, then you have a lot at stake. Safety systems may not be up to par, alignment may be way off, etc. I would pass if it were me, but you may have really good luck with it.

Would an experienced mechanic be able to verify that the frame and suspension component weren't damaged at some point?

Last edited:
I guess the problem with this car is that its too new/expensive to have been written off without some serious damage, $15-20k worth?
My current CRV was close to getting written off due to a minor rear end hit a couple years ago, but that's because it isn't worth much. A reputable shop fixed it and I don't give it a second thought.
If the guy seems like he could do excellent work (he has a clean well set up shop atleast), take it to a real body shop and let them pass judgement. It could be better than new or much worse.

I bought a "salvage" title car once. 94 thunderbird v8. Supposedly only a theft recovery. Here, once the vehicle is missing for 30 days the insurance totals it. Body looked great, car ran great. Went for an alignment....major uni-body tweaking required. Cost alot of my early twenties pay in late 90's dollars. Lots of great memories in that car.
Sometimes financing is hard to get with reconstructed/ salvage titles.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It totally kills the resale and negates the factory warranty.

This is from the Subaru site:
http://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2016.html
Quote:
Cars Ineligible for Warranty Coverage

The vehicle is not eligible for warranty coverage if the vehicle identification number is altered or cannot be read; if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes; if the vehicle has been dismantled, destroyed or changed in such a manner that constitutes a material alteration of its original construction; if the odometer mileage has been changed so that mileage cannot be readily determined.

So, only buy it if resale doesn't matter.

To me, it would be OK for a cheap commuter that I planned to keep until it had very little value. But to spend $15k on a car with a salvage title? No thanks.

This.

I agree on how rebuilt could work, salvage title, if the goal was to never resell. However, this car sounds overpriced. The seller sounds like he is comparing Blue Book value to that of a perfect vehicle.

I wonder if insurance wrote off the car, in which case, every dollar may be profit for the seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back