5.0 Mustang & Napa Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 2013 5.0 Mustang GT V8 I currently use either M1 5w30 or I have had several free oil changes that the dealer gave me and they use Motorcraft simi synthetic 5w20 and both oils seem to run fine without issue. In the wifes Toyota Camery and my Nissan Pathfinder as well as my company Ford Focus I use Napa synthetic 5w30 that I buy on sale and frankly I would like to use this oil in my Mustang. For one reason I am cheep and the Mustang takes 8 quarts and another thing I could only stock one oil and that makes it easy. My Mustang is not a Track Pack car and it is not driven hard.

Will Napa synthetic meet the 5.0 Ford V8 engine requirements? Is this oil good enough quality or should I just bite the bullet and stick with the M1 oil? what you think?

If the car isnt pushed, you're probably fine with any synthetic. Probably wont hurt anything, but any reason you're using 5w30 instead of the 5w20?

I would think the NAPA full syn would be at least equal to what the motorcraft semi could take. What are you oil change intervals like?

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
If the car isnt pushed, you're probably fine with any synthetic. Probably wont hurt anything, but any reason you're using 5w30 instead of the 5w20?

I would think the NAPA full syn would be at least equal to what the motorcraft semi could take. What are you oil change intervals like?

I change the Mustang oil every 5K as for the 5w30 over 5w20 there seems to be a great deal of talk on many of the Mustang forums that 5w20 is not the best choice for the Coyote V8? I dont want to start a 5w20 vs 5w30 oil debate but many 5.0 Ford V8 owners feel better running 5w30 frankly I have no idea if its any better?

i'd say if you really beat on it and drive it hard ( why wold you want a V8 Mustang if you didn't ) just keep using the 5w30 in any name brand synthetic..
The 5w20 will be just fine too but the only reason modern manufacturers are speccing Xw20 oils is C.A.F.E standards, all the Ford dealers here in Spain use 5w30 in basically everything from the Diesel 4 pot Focuses and Fiestas to 5.0 Mustangs.
You don't need to change the oil every 5k miles, that is overkill, you can easily do 10k

Yea, I have the older 4.6 3V and the debate rages for that as well, between 5w20 and 5w30. Honestly I think either will work fine.

Changing the oil in that 5.0 every 5k, I would go with the NAPA synthetic for sure (and save some $$) . I think ford recommends 10k intervals using the semi syn, so you're cutting that in half. Also the 8 quart capacity gives you a good bit extra protection.

Out of curiosity what filter are you going with?

With an 8 quart sump you can definitely go over 5k. I know I would and did with my 2012 5.0.

Owners manual said 10k with motorcraft oil.

I run 5w20 in my 5.0, but after doing a lot of reading it seems nobody has experienced any problems going thicker. With a good quality oil, especially a full synthetic, I am comfortable running 5w20 out to the IOLM shows around 10%. No reason to throw money away.

I didn't find any info on actual internal changes with the track pack so I can't see any reason why a heavier oil would cause problems... I also don't see any benefit of you don't experience elevated oil temps.

I'm sure the Napa synthetic meets the requirements for this engine and may be better than the Motorcraft blend. What does the back of the bottle say?

I use 5W-20 Motorcraft blend in my 14 Mustang GT and go by the OLM for oil changes or one year of service.

As far as 5W-20 vs 5W-30, I tend to keep my vehicles a long time so unless my car turns into a un-reliable money pit and I get rid of it, I may find out if using 5W-20 lowered it's engine life.

Wayne

That synthetic terminology doesn't matter, since they aren't.

5qt sump should go further than 5K. What ford say? OLM? Early changes = MORE engine wear not less. Super clean doesn't = longer engine life.

Doesn't your Mustang have the IOLM? If so, you can confidently follow its suggested OCI suggestions with Napa Synthetic
smile.gif

No reason to pay extra for M1 in your case.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Yea, I have the older 4.6 3V and the debate rages for that as well, between 5w20 and 5w30. Honestly I think either will work fine.

Changing the oil in that 5.0 every 5k, I would go with the NAPA synthetic for sure (and save some $$) . I think ford recommends 10k intervals using the semi syn, so you're cutting that in half. Also the 8 quart capacity gives you a good bit extra protection.

Out of curiosity what filter are you going with?

+1. NAPA synthetic is just fine. 8 qts gives you more wiggle room for extended intervals. Try going 7.5k and getting a UOA.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
i'd say if you really beat on it and drive it hard ( why wold you want a V8 Mustang if you didn't ) just keep using the 5w30 in any name brand synthetic..
The 5w20 will be just fine too but the only reason modern manufacturers are speccing Xw20 oils is C.A.F.E standards, all the Ford dealers here in Spain use 5w30 in basically everything from the Diesel 4 pot Focuses and Fiestas to 5.0 Mustangs.
You don't need to change the oil every 5k miles, that is overkill, you can easily do 10k

Till my son destroyed my 2013 (not mad, at least he walked away from it) I found that I didn't have to beat on it to make it giddy up and go. And mine was a 6er. Those 5.0's with the right gears got plenty for the average thrill seeker, and you don't need to get it near redline to feel it! That car was the reason I showed up here to begin with. I cringed when I saw 5-20 in the owner's manual. It only got to 30k, but it ran fine on that 5-20 and I would probably have never changed a thing. My IOLM had plenty left @ about 8K at every time, but I figured +/- 8K was good enough for the Motorcraft blend, cause I did beat on it, but jus a lil'!

There are tons of f150 towing tractors and whatever else you can put behind them with uoa's that show up fine every time I so I highly doubt you could push your stock 5.0 mustang that hard to "need" a 30wt I'm running 10w30 castrol edge ep and it seems a little sluggish with my butt dyno compared to the 5w20 but who knows I'm more comfortable with the 20w and on the napa syn I have put the napa syn and conventional in 5 or 6 cars that I maintain and they all do great with it no crazy oil burning/ticking/color change stories here so feel free to use it it meets all of the ford requirements

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

What do they use in the Fiesta ST 1.6 Ts??

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Your Mustang will never know the difference.
wink.gif

+1

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Castrol GTX Conventional 5W-30
FRAM Tough Guard Oil Filter #TG3614
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

NAPA Synthetic 5W-30 would be a good match for your Mustang in my opinion. It meets & exceeds all of the required specs for your engine. The 30 weight will provide some extra protection when you're running hard too, versus 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back