bought used honda prelude sh, which motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't tell if the oil that was being used is synthetic or not. The car has 134k miles on it...is it okay to use mobil 1 5w-30 on this car or does it even matter as long as I used the type of oil specified on the oil cap?

Last edited:
Does it leak/burn any oil?
How long will you go between oil changes?

Maybe trey a semi-syn high mileage oil like Castrol or Valvoline Maxlife.

Also clean or replace the PCV valve. Hondas are very picky with their crankcase pressures and a clogged/dirty PCV can caused more oil usage.

Thanks for your response...I'm from MD btw if it helps...the weather is pretty erratic here...cold winters and hot summers and some nice days in between.

Well I just got the car and and currently testing how much oil burn right now so I don't have any numbers. H22 engines do burn though depending on how often vtec is hit...I plan on changing oil every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: h22rider
I can't tell if the oil that was being used is synthetic or not. The car has 134k miles on it...is it okay to use mobil 1 5w-30 on this car or does it even matter as long as I used the type of oil specified on the oil cap?

That oil will be fine. As mentioned previously watch the level to see if it burns any oil.

My vote go toward whatever the cheapest synthetic 5w30 you can get is. I would stock up on some of the NAPA 5w30 or do some mail in rebates on Pennzoil or mobil at the time. If I was looking for the cheapest normal price, I would just buy supertech synthetic 5w30. Any should be sufficient for this car. I personally stocked up on some Castrol Edge 5w30 and 10w30 as it is my preferred oil and I got it on sale for $20 oil and filter a while back, but would use any of them. They should all work fine.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
My vote go toward whatever the cheapest synthetic 5w30 you can get is. I would stock up on some of the NAPA 5w30 or do some mail in rebates on Pennzoil or mobil at the time. If I was looking for the cheapest normal price, I would just buy supertech synthetic 5w30. Any should be sufficient for this car. I personally stocked up on some Castrol Edge 5w30 and 10w30 as it is my preferred oil and I got it on sale for $20 oil and filter a while back, but would use any of them. They should all work fine.

Mobil has a great rebate right now until 5/31.

And unlike Pennzoil , Mobil keeps their word.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky

mazdamonky has the right idea. If your OCI is 5,000 miles, any synthetic oil and filter will protect your Prelude just fine. And 5w-30 is the right weight. Walmart is your friend for buying oil and filters.

Good luck.

I don't think it'll matter.
We've owned a number of Hondas over the years and they haven't seemed at all picky about oil nor have they typically developed oil leaks.
You want to use M1 in an old Prelude?
Why not!

welcome2.gif

M1 5w30 is fine on these cars.

Beware that some of them will burn oil like crazy, while some won;t at all. The fiber cylinder liner was made in small batches, and QC wasn't consistent between batches.

You might want to stock up on Napa Synthetic 5w30, on sale for $2.99/qt until 5/31. It's made by Valvoline, and is the same as Synpower.

yes the h22 consumes oil by nature (you won't see blue smoke from the tail pipe) so not sure where the heck its going.

When I had my 99 lude, I ran GC 0w30 or Amsoil 5w30. To be honest I don't think it matters.

I would run PYB 5w30 in it.

Since we don't know what was in there to start with, I vote for Maxlife red bottle (blend) and a good filter (Napa Gold), oversized if you can get a crossover (?), magnetic drain plug, New air cleaner, new PCV valve, change tranny fluid (stick? - MTL) and prolly do new brake & clutch fluid too (they tend to accumulate water over time).

That way you know where you are starting from. Look for leaks and seeps as the miles roll up. Keep track of consumption for a while until you get used to the car. Have fun
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back