What trans fluid for a modded 700R4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Regal build continues, this time, transmission.

I picked up a healthy 700R4 a month ago and am putting in a combination of the 700-2&3 and SK 700 JR TransGo kits. Looking for recommendations on what fluid to run in this. It will be going behind an LM7 LS truck motor. Looking for a decent 325hp. I have heard a lot about using Type F, but then see listings for Type FA. Would prefer to use an over-the-counter fluid.

Thanks.

I would think most good Syn Dex3 spec fluid like Valvoline maxlife would work fine.

But also make sure to have a trans cooler as even the best fluid can't help if the trans gets to hot.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
What kind of transmission fluid did the 700R4 spec?

What kind of fluid did your Blazer's spec?

700R4 = 4L60/65/70

Valvoline MaxLife ATF is entirely appropriate, and widely available at under $18/gallon.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
What kind of transmission fluid did the 700R4 spec?

Spec'd Dex III back in the day.

How are you going to be using this Blazer? Tracking, off-roading, towing, daily driver, what?

The 700R4 speced Dexron III/Mercon.

I have rebuilt many of these for my former Suburbans.

I would use either Amsoil TorqueDrive or Redline D4 if you are not going to be Tracking, off-roading, or towing.

If you will be towing or off-roading or tracking I would use the Redline High-Temp ATF.

The 700R4 is NOT a racing tranny and under no circumstances would I use a type "F" ATF.

Where did Blazer come from? This is a THM700R4 going behind a 5.3 LM7 truck motor in a G-Body Regal.

It's going in it for heaters, some fun runs, and general enjoyment. If it lasts a season or two, I'll be happy. I figure it should be a good combo with a N/A or sprayed LM7 before I bite the bullet, go 4L80 and LQ4 with turbos.

Originally Posted By: redhat
If it lasts a season or two, I'll be happy.

I'd much rather spend my money on a good cooler vs. boutique oils.

A standalone Tru-Cool 4590 (11 x 11 x 1 1/2) would be excellent for your car.

Oh most definitely will be going with a good trans-cooler.

Maxlife gets my vote, impressive stuff. My built
Transmission loves it and shifts great with it and runs cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back