old oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0L engine that runs like a top. The truck is rarely used. For instance, since July 2015 I have logged 1500 miles on it. Since it is driven so little, i have put regular oil changes "on the back burner" mentally and of course I've kept mental notes on our daily drivers as to when to check for an oil change.

Last week it dawned on me to check when the last oil change was on the truck. It was July of last year. That means I have an engine full of 11-month old oil. I do plan to change it soon, but does oil go "bad" by just sitting in the engine?

My dad's old S10 with the 2.2 4cyl, rarely sees 3k per year.
I've gone as far as 18 months before changing his oil.
Using only conventional 5w30/10w30.
It's on the same rotation as your Ranger.
July of last year is when I changed it last.
Currently it only has 1k miles on it.
I plan to leave it in there at least til Nov/Dec.

Last edited:
Not all miles are created equally. Depends on whether it's had a lot of short or long trips and whether it gets warmed up.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Not all miles are created equally. Depends on whether it's had a lot of short or long trips and whether it gets warmed up.

+1

Dive it to town, or the lumber yard, or something so it comes up to temp for 1/2 hour at least once a week would be nice.

If the oil looks good on the dip stick (white paper test), it probably is...

So, with only 1,500 miles, you are half way through the short OCI of 3K. I agree with others here. If it was good oil to start with, it'll go another year.

But, if you want peace of mind, never hurts anything but your wallet to change early
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I have changed oil at 3 years/4000 miles and the analysis stated I could have gone longer. In your situation, every year is a waste of good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back