Something to think about.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my thought for the day.... Don't get so wrapped up in making money and working that you forget to live and enjoy life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Here is my thought for the day.... Don't get so wrapped up in making money and working that you forget to live and enjoy life.

01.gif

Working too hard really does take years off your life.

I bet you just finished a couple of brewskies;)
Couple of beers gets me feeling the same way
11.gif

Last edited:
I got asked to work this past Saturday and Sunday (overtime and double time). Said nope, miss out on basically another check , but get to go to movies amd keep my sanity.

Originally Posted By: Al
I bet you just finished a couple of brewskies;)
Couple of beers gets me feeling the same way
11.gif

No I don't like drinking, makes me feel sick.

We already have a class of people who live like that, they live and enjoy life and get their welfare check every month.

LOL,
does coming home from dinner with the family on Friday night then pumping out briefing papers (due Monday, advised 2PM Friday), 2-1/2 hours phone and emails on Sunday, and a day off with my wife with another 2-1/2 hours of interuptions Monday count as balance ?

Not much choice in the matter if you want to get paid.

Good-do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Better-Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work.

Best-A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.

After loosing one friend to liver cancer at 65 yrs of age,and another to brain cancer at 62, and having way too many co-workers work until they died, I retired from the port of Houston at 62 and a half. If I had stayed on until 65 I would another $300k in wages made. Tell that to my friend who died of liver cancer....

*ahem* [censored] work

10.gif

Think about roughly 8 hrs of sleep, 8 hrs of work (rounded down, not including lunch, commute, etc, but also saying 7 days/week)

=

2/3 of your adult life gone.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav

We already have a class of people who live like that, they live and enjoy life and get their welfare check every month.

I think its a delicate balance. You do need to take time to enjoy life and time with friends and family. I feel today we dont have enough time off. Does you good to take a break and just relax.

Its absolutely important to value family and friends. And to not be such a workaholic that you let that slip away.

Ditto for your health. In many ways its easier to forget about health than family.

But hard work allows you to have the flexibility and means to support your family well, pay for the good and memorable times, and ensure lower stress (in many situations, job dependent).

Its all a balance. I like the concept of work hard, play hard.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Good-do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life....

I'll agree with Pop on this one.

I see some that just drag through work, a part of me pitys them, a part of me doesn't understand them. My father (who was full of down-to-earth wisdom) use to say "You have to do a good day's work to get a good night's sleep". I guess I had a good dose of luck and a dash of skill to end up on the road I did, most days I enjoy going to work. Today, I'm looking forward to finishing a fixture that will help produce a product and in it's place provide opportunity for others to live a good life. To me, work is an integral part of life.

I'll agree with the OP on the total focus on making money. That is a bad road. It usually ends up poorly for someone.

Choose your ruts carefully...

When I was younger with a wife and three kids at home, I worked tons of extra hours. Now I only work about 10 months a year 40 hours a week. That's all that is available at the same job now and I don't mind.
I have friends and relatives in the auto industry that work every day 10-12 hours with 2 days off a month. Yes, they are pretty well off but that is no life really.

We all need a job to pay bills.

I never liked a person willing to put their job first... putting kids and wife second. Some chase a job title to satisfy their pathetic ego and be a slave to their career.

I agree that more money equals better retirement and less stress down the road, but after a certain point the extra $$$ is meaningless.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Those people aren't enjoying life. They're miserable, and broke. Welfare is only enough to keep you poor. Just enough to keep you from doing anything for yourself. Not enough to have a quality lifestyle. Very well thought out plan to preserve the permanent underclass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back