Re-surfacing original GM wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about having the wheels on my vehicle (in signature below) "re-conditioned". Up here in the rust belt, wheels don't always last as long as the vehicle. My Trailblazer has the N75 wheel option and the chrome is peeling off and corroded. Have any of you had oem wheels refurbished? Is there a specific procedure to do or not to do? How long should I expect them to look good?

Call a couple of dealerships and ask who they use.Alloy wheel repair seems to be a good company to use. There is an alloy wheel repair in Michigan.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Just replace them. It will be cheaper.

+1

Between the roads and the rust, I might just replace them. Ebay, maybe?

I just bought new rims for my Honda at Detroit Wheel and Tire. It's a big place that's been around for a long time, that services dealerships and repair facilities all over the United States. I highly recommend.

When I was there, I saw several guys drop their old wheels off there to have them refinished.

I'd give them a call and see what they quote you.

Everyone here is right IMHO.

Shop around. New-Used-Refurb. You can keep notes and make a decision.

Is there a base color involved or are all these wheels silver or black (with chrome)? Would "new ones" need to painted to match your car? That would add a hunk of cost.

You say your wheels have a chrome section/highlight? Can you live without the chrome? Would the wheel look OK if you "sidestepped" the chrome (removed it or painted over it)?

I would NEVER use chrome wheels in the winter. Summer only. I have a set of American Racing chrome wheel that have been on 2 different trucks. They are 12 years old, and still look new. Soon as they even think about salt, off they come. Once they start to go bad from winter use, they are scrap metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back