Recommend a wet/dry vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Craftsman wet/dry vac (older model) that has been decent, but I've noticed lately that when I use it indoors, it leaves a fine coating of dust on things.

Is it because I need to use the HEPA filter instead of the general purpose filter that I normally use?

I clean the filter after every use and dump the waste from the vac.

Thoughts?

Your subject line asks for a new vacuum recommendation, yet your post indicates dissatisfaction with your filter when used indoors. I'm confused.

Bag, foam, or pleated filter?

Do you want to replace the vac or the filter, or both?

Change filter types.

I have a small (3 gallon?) wet dry that I have had for years. For outdoor use, I use the little blue cloth thing. For wet, I put the foam cover over it. Most indoor stuff I just use the blue cloth, but I have a cartridge that I use if I really need fine particles cleaned up and not spread into the air.

I've got a big wet dry that I use dry only. In the few times I've had to use a wet cac, I use a smaller (2.5 gal) vac. At 8 lb/gal, I'm not all that interested in carrying a ton of water to dump someplace safe. Then again, knock on wood, I've never encountered that much water to suck up.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I recommend this + this

+1
The Ridgid vacs are the definitely the go-to vacs. I've had the same contractor grade for 8 years, and still going strong.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Your subject line asks for a new vacuum recommendation, yet your post indicates dissatisfaction with your filter when used indoors. I'm confused.

Thanks for the reply, sleddriver.

I was actually asking both.

I use the vac "dry" 90% of the time.

My question referred directly to the dust that is obviously emanating from the vac. "General purpose pleated filter" or should I be using a HEPA filter indoors?

Or buy another vac?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Thanks for the reply, sleddriver.
I was actually asking both.
I use the vac "dry" 90% of the time.

My question referred directly to the dust that is obviously emanating from the vac. "General purpose pleated filter" or should I be using a HEPA filter indoors?

Or buy another vac?

Thanks.

You didn't mention what brand of vac you presently have. If available for your vac, I'd recommend a Clear-Stream pleated filter made of Gore-Tex. You can vac up fireplace ashes & sheetrock dust with it, then simply rinse it off with water to clean. Rather amazing actually and well worth the cost. I've been using them for 20yrs on two different vacs with no worries.

Re: "Another Vac". I have a small Fein that is incredibly quiet, comes with a great hose, a powerfull motor and produces lots of suction. Great for indoor & auto use, but I don't use it for 'wet' nor nasty jobs.

The second one, a Rigid, gets used for that. It's the $100 model, picked up cheap at a garage sale. Strong suction, has a tub drain, fitted with a Clear Stream filter.

A great tip is to replace the cheap, restrictive hose with 2-1/2" dust collection hose + accessories from Rockler, Woodcraft, etc. With couplers, you can make hose any length, long rigid pipe sections + a floor sweep to vac up water or the garage floor. Less restriction = more CFM + you'll save $$$$ as well.

A great benefit is this 2-1/2" hose works with both the Fein & the Ridgid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back