Valve guide seals? - This much smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
On my Camry, it smokes (blue) on startup about 3/4 of the time I start it up. Usually in the morning, sometimes after its sat for like 4 hours in the afternoon. Today I started it after I was out of town (in another car) and it sat for 4 days. I let it run for 4-5 minutes to let the A/C cool the car and it had a constant blue smoke plume coming out, it gradually died down after 4-5 minutes. Is this the valve guide seals? It runs great, and actually burns a quart every 3-5k miles. Been 1,500-2,000 miles since I topped it off and it was 1/2 way between the add and full line on the dipstick, so 1/2 quart. New PCV valve last year, no sludge, very clean under the valve cover.

From 195k-200k I ran Chevron Supreme HM 5w30.
From 200k-205k I ran Pennzoil HM 5w30.
From 205k-211,400 (current) it has Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w30, going to change at 212,500.

So, valve guide seals, or something else? The smoking and burning actually doesn't bother me, but if it's something I can fix without rebuilding the engine I'd like to give it a try. Don't really care for additives.

valve guides for sure. If it smokes on hard deceleration its most likely rings. a valve job on that car would be super easy and inexpensive. are you able to take the head off yourself?

Originally Posted By: abycat
valve guides for sure. If it smokes on hard deceleration its most likely rings. a valve job on that car would be super easy and inexpensive. are you able to take the head off yourself?
I've never noticed smoking while driving.

I could probably do it myself. Just depends if it's worth it. If adding some oil is all it needs I'll just do that. If it's hurting anything, I'll consider a proper fix if valve guide seals are the issue.

There's nothing more whimsical than firing 'ol Betsy off and having her disappear into a cloud of smoke on warm up. Drove a '70 6 cylinder Camaro for 9 years and that's the way it was every day after work. About 2 miles down the road she'd finally clear off and the show was over. Consumption was around a gallon a week but she always ran well.....

Pull out the cams remove the valve springs replace the seal and hope the valve guides are not too loose other wise it will leak again[smoke]

I don't think any oil choice will help unfortunatly. if you drive highway speeds and safely downshift the trans and watch your rearview mirror with no throttle at all for a couple seconds then push the throttle and keep your speed you should not see any smoke. With the harsh vacuum created the piston would pull oil up and burn it with bad rings. I'm pretty sure its the guides though.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Weren't the valve guide seals already replaced? Is it Uncle Buck bad?
Yes I forgot about that. In it's maintenance history on the Toyota Owner's website it shows they were replaced at like 83k miles.

I'll try to get it on video tomorrow morning, it chugs out a good amount but it isn't blinding. You can see through the clouds, not so thick that it's not visible through it.

I thought the hallmark sign of bad valve seals was if you sat at a red light for a few minutes, you would get a puff of blue smoke when you pulled away but that would be the end of it.

Either way, it doesn't take a lot of oil to make a lot of smoke, so I would just top it off.

probably not the seals, had the same thing happened to me after I change my muffler from a straight type to a S type, I thought it was the valves seals, but after I change them the issue persists. So its gotta be the exhaust collecting a lot of condensation. Besides , I notice very little (100ml) oil loss at 8000km .

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've never noticed smoking while driving.

What about the poor people following behind you with their dash fan on ?
grin2.gif

Your oil consumption is not bad at all. I wouldn't recondition the head until you have to add a quart every 1000 miles or your plugs continue to foul.You mentioned PCV, if you didn't use an OEM valve, I would try an OEM.

I'm thinking valve guides, especially if the stem seals were already replaced. I'd leave it unless the oil consumption is high.

Assuming your CCV (Crank Case Vent) system is clean, the valve guide oil seals and rings are probably causing the high oil consumption.

I would try the following if you don't want to rebuild the top end, or get a good used engine:
1/ Move up one grade to an xw40.
2/ Try one can of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver (It's a stop leak additive).
If you really don't like additives then switch to a good HM oil, like Valvoline Maxlife 10w40.
3/ There is a case for trying an idle only flush additive just before the next oil & filter change, as it will help clean up the oil scraper rings and valve guides of any deposits, BUT that might increase the oil consumption for a while before the stop leak additive has a chance to swell the seals.
4/ Keep the revs low!

I wouldn't replace the seals until consumption increases to about 1 qt per 1000 mile because it's a very difficult procedure. You can see how it is done:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2327558/Wonders_of_valve-stem_oil_seal

To check if it's the valve seals, fully warm the engine to normal operating temperature (at least fifteen minutes or more driving). Idle at a full stop for two minutes or more and then accelerate from the full stop. If you see smoke from the tailpipe, it's the valve-stem oil seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back