Germany may ban FCA vehicles / emissions dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I almost posted this in the humor section.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/23/germany-fiat-chrysler-ban-diesel-emissions/

Quote:
Germany is threatening to ban sales of FCA products over diesel emissions. According to the newspaper Bild Am Sonntag, Germany's Federal Motor Transport Authority found evidence of a so-called defeat device that shuts down certain emissions controls after running for 22 minutes. A standard diesel emissions test in the European Union reportedly takes 20 minutes to complete.

FCA denies the allegations. "We believe all our vehicles respect EU emissions standards and we believe Italian regulators are the competent authority to evaluate this," the company said in a statement. The latter part of that statement drew ire from German authorities, especially after FCA declined to meet with German transport minister Alexander Dobrindt to discuss the issue.

Graziano Delrio, the Italian Minister of Infrastructure and Transport, vowed to work with German authorities on behalf of FCA. According to EU law, FCA is required to homologate its vehicles in Italy because that's where its regional operations are based. When will the diesel-scented soap opera end? We wish we knew, but our Magic 8 Ball is covered in soot.

Like I said before, did anyone really think VW was the only company cheating on emissions?

If all the makers are playing emissions games, perhaps it should say something to the art history majors turned lawyers turned legislators who enact this garbage.

I'm in no way for rolling coal or spewing garbage, but sometimes enough is already too much.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If all the makers are playing emissions games, perhaps it should say something to the art history majors turned lawyers turned legislators who enact this garbage.

I'm in no way for rolling coal or spewing garbage, but sometimes enough is already too much.

That is exactly how I feel.

Talking to my brother (a mechanic at a heavy equipment firm) during the early stages of the VW scandal, he outlined the parameters used to pass the emissions testing: drive wheels rotating & others not (via ABS sensors), no steering wheel operation (via steering wheel encoder) and certain engine RPMs. It's been done before: http://jalopnik.com/how-the-epa-won-1-billion-from-diesel-cheaters-long-be-1732109485 Perhaps the car makers should study their history.

They are threatening but that means nothing just press. France was going to ban MB vehicles because of the R134. Typical meaningless Euro posturing.

I had no ideal that VW was the world's largest car maker, always thought it was Toyota. Until this scandal.

Just look how VW is handling this....

Just stupid, VW needs taken over by the Government, prison for some, and dismantle and auction off the scrap.....

That should keep everyone else in line. Instead of crucifying everyone, just beat up VW, ...and next model year everyone would be wiser and honest.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Most emission reduction regulations were developed in a vacuum instead of a gradual step by step process that reflects real world physics. Because of this extraordinary measures must be taken to meet a standard that may or may not have any real world effect on the atmosphere. The regulation process has been a feel good exercise with no recourse for the manufacturer. In other words the regulators have far more power than brains. In fact they would have never caught VW on their own, never. They are here to regulate and punish based on a set of rules that will cripple the industry before the atmosphere is saved.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I had no ideal that VW was the world's largest car maker, always thought it was Toyota. Until this scandal.

Just stupid, VW needs taken over by the Government, prison for some, and dismantle and auction off the scrap.....

That should keep everyone else in line. Instead of crucifying everyone, just beat up VW, ...and next model year everyone would be wiser and honest.
laugh.gif

Actually, i would hire someone from VW to run the EPA.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

laugh.gif

Say what?

that's exactly what's going on, I think.

Pretty much every German manufacturer by now has been caught up in this (though only VW used an actual cheat device, the others seemed to have worked within the rules) so it's an image thing that a non-german manufacturer must be included in the scandal. whether it's true or not is not important in this.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Fiat, Chrysler, Alfa Romeo, and part of Ferrari.

Thank you sir; I hate abbreviations.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
that's exactly what's going on, I think.

Pretty much every German manufacturer by now has been caught up in this (though only VW used an actual cheat device, the others seemed to have worked within the rules) so it's an image thing that a non-german manufacturer must be included in the scandal. whether it's true or not is not important in this.

Yeah, sensationalist journalism at its best. They didn't do what VW has done, but still they played around rules.
I have read an article that this case is response from German government to Americans (VW scandal) ,not only to punish FCA, but also GM. As we know GM use FCA engines, and even whole cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back