Likely getting a Toyota RAV-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Fit is likely dead due to an accident. If it lives, I'll make a thread about it. Everybody's fine, thankfully.

We spent a good bit of time shopping for a very likely replacement. We considered a new Fit, and promptly got sticker shock from the local dealers. Used Fits are also selling for crazy prices around us. $11k for a 2010 with 100k miles, no thanks. Somebody will buy it, though. We looked at a Jetta TDI, and a Scion iM. Those cars were eliminated for various reasons, like recalls or not driving well.

We have a deposit down on a CPO 2013 RAV-4 XLE with AWD. The RAV drove like a larger Fit. This frankly surprised me. I was expecting it to be wallowy and not responsive. Instead we found a vehicle with fairly taut suspension, limited body roll around turns, and quick to respond to steering inputs. Toyota isn't known for its vehicle dynamics, so finding they had done their homework on driving dynamics was nice. We also liked the visibility out, and the amount of space it has inside. The AWD we could take or leave. It has it, so we'll take it. The tires it has aren't that great in the winter based on reviews, so it'll get a set of snow tires as well.

For why a CUV instead of a wagon or hatch, well, we tried. We don't want to deal with long-term Volkswagen TDI ownership issues, BMW/MB wagons are outside the budget except for well-used ones, and smaller hatches around us are priced like CUV's. I'm not thrilled, but given our location and needing a vehicle quickly, this was the best compromise we could have.

Pictures once we get it. Otherwise, there'll be a good story to tell.

Had to look it up; that's the refreshed one, with 2.5L and 6AT. Never drove one, only entertained the prior model (which has to be worse, given the 4AT). Look forward to hearing more about this (or what happens to the Fit).

I do like the RAV4's "locking" feature where you can force the rear wheels to be engaged when in the slippery stuff. As opposed to reacting to wheelspin that is. It kicks out by 35mph or so, though. I don't think I've heard of issues on the 2.5 2AR-FE, seems like it has been a good motor so far.

Originally Posted By: Billy_D
Did you look at the newer Rav 4? I like them too.

2013 is the first year of the current body style. It was between a CPO used XLE and a new base LE, both AWD. The CPO used one had far more bells/whistles that we'd use for less money, and ironically a better powertrain warranty.

I found myself in a very similar situation to you when I wound up with my 2013 RAV4 Limited AWD. I wanted a wagon, but as you pointed out the options were extremely limited. VW "Diesel-gate" had just hit, so the Jetta was out. Looked at Audi A6 wagons, but to get them affordable you had to be in the 70k mile range. Drove the Subaru Outback and just didn't click with it, plus I had never liked our old Forester. Also, I HATE CVTs!

Started looking at CUVs and quickly narrowed it down to the RAV and the Mazda CX-5. After driving both, the RAV4 was the only one that hit all of my "must haves". The biggest mark against the CX-5 was size and rear legroom, as I needed it to fit a good amount of luggage/tools and car seats.

I have been nothing but happy with the RAV. Some 2AR-FE engines have a rattly start-up and mine does. Some Toyota guys freak out about it and have valves and cams and all manner of stuff looked over, but nothing bad comes of it. My UOAs are good, so I don't worry about it. I've had no reliability issues at all.

I've averaged 24 mpg over the life of the vehicle, and that is with a fair bit of city driving prior to my new job. Now it is all highway, 120 miles a day and I get 26-27 regularly on hilly mountain roads.

The ride has a lot of feedback, it handles like it is on rails and the electric power steering is pretty good. Not your typical brand of Toyota vanilla for sure. Some might say it rides harsh, it is definitely firm. If you are looking for an easy-going ride this probably isn't your car. But I have no issue with it.

It is AMAZING in the snow! We live on a steep driveway and at the slightest sign of snow I could never get my Audi or my wife's Subaru up our driveway. I just throw the RAV in the electronic 4-lock and cruise right on up. I've own some of the more highly vaunted AWD systems and this lowly transverse, non-symmetrical system is pretty awesome!

All that to say, I'm happy with my purchase. I'm going to play around with some oils to try and quiet it down a little, but it isn't a big deal either way. I would absolutely buy it again and for MY needs it hits all the marks.

As a counterpoint, a couple of things I would change about it RAV. I'm not a huge fan of all the unfinished plastic on the bumpers, cladding, and wheel arches. I've got an intermittent rattle in the tailgate I need to track down, but it isn't bad. The road noise is a little higher than I would like, I may throw down some Dynamat in the near future.

All said and done, I recommend it!

CRAZY resale residual value on used Toyota's, so make sure to comparison shop a new one. Sometimes it's better to take the new one.

Very satified with our '14 XLE 2wd. Over 28 mpg lifetime average. Quite a few 450 mile days with no problems at all. Some people don't like the seats, we have no problems with them. A bit more road noise than I'd like on some surfaces and the shift program with cruise control on holds downshifts too long but otherwise a nice car, or cute ute if you will. You'll want to join www.rav4world.com to keep up with things. Hope you like it.

I'm not getting how the fit could be such a horrid deal, and the Toyota not.

Actually, it's generally a poor deal to buy any Honda or Toyota on the secondary market. We tried on the odyssey, but the per mile cost of buying new was lower.

Glad to hear you and yours are ok after whatever incident got your Fit.

I agree that with Toyota and Honda you are typically better off to buy new new because of resale value. However, there are deals to be had. Mine was a trade in to a BMW dealership with 19k miles. I was about to buy new until I found it. It had sat on the lot for 6 months and I got it for below Black Book. I guess no one goes to a BMW dealership to buy a Toyota!

My sister has the 2008 RAV4 awd sport with 150k now since new.

It's been a bit above average in reliability however the exhaust must be low quality as it was replaced in 2012. A few other wear and odd items including steering rack.

The awd is okay however the software based diff locker switch below 25mph help considerably in tough conditions.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
CRAZY resale residual value on used Toyota's, so make sure to comparison shop a new one. Sometimes it's better to take the new one.

We did. A new 2016 LE AWD was about $6000 more than the XLE we have a deposit on. Due to our location, there are very few FWD models to be found.

New Fits around me are well over $20k out the door. The local dealers have the area pretty much sold on buying a CVT-equipped Fit, or at least that's all they're stocking. With our timeline of needing the vehicle rather quickly, we are having to pick from the best value available vehicle locally. Oh well, such is life.

It's not a 12 year old Crown Vic. Therefore it can't be any good. According to the consensus on BITOG.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
HR-V overpriced there too?
CX5?

Good luck with a short shopping window!

Yep, both are pretty well marked up around me. Many years of commercials have brainwashed folks into thinking that they "need" AWD to deal with the winter weather. So anything with AWD flies out of the showroom.

Originally Posted By: CKN
It's not a 12 year old Crown Vic. Therefore it can't be any good. According to the consensus on BITOG.
smirk.gif

Put some Michelin tires on a 12 year old Crown Vic and you'd be GOLDEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back