CQ Blue 84151 | 5,018 Miles | 3 Months [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the filter from my Powerstroke and is one of the Affinia (WIX) made CarQuest Blues that I bought for $4.06 from Rock Auto back in 2015. Pleats are nice and straight, it had a quart of oil in it so the ADBV was working and it was very pliable, all in all there are no complaints here (well except the oil can stain as badly as crude). Kendall Super-DXa 15W-40 SynBlend was used with this filter and another Affinia made CQ Blue took its place along with Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40. Unlike my Explorer, it is not possible to capture a good photo of the Gold Plug because the oil pan is steel and I can never remove it without it sticking and rubbing the tip, but I could see some buildup on the end.

Enjoy!

bsYJGG.jpg

bg9nSc.jpg

6UG2c6.jpg

H0qEsn.jpg

7ew0Jn.jpg

0Fnnig.jpg

NjjN4f.jpg

OJofkN.jpg

G2j5Ky.jpg

qHCOec.jpg

That might be my goto filter on that beast (esp with that wire backing)..lol nice pics

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shellguy
That might be my goto filter on that beast (esp with that wire backing)..lol nice pics
Hard to beat the price and wire-backed media to boot!
grin.gif

Good looking filter.

Waiting to see if crazyoildude will comment on the use of louvers by Wix, and his (unfounded) hypothesis this reduces the velocity of the oil through the media to reduce tearing potential vs. round holes in the center tube.

It certainly reduces the velocity through the center tube perforations, and therefore overall differential pressure, but only the type & quantity of media affects the velocity through the media for a given flow set of conditions. This filter obviously uses wire backed media to reduce tearing potential and stand up to the operating conditions of the engine it's designed for.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Good looking filter. Waiting to see if crazyoildude will comment on the use of louvers by Wix, and his (unfounded) hypothesis this reduces the velocity of the oil through the media to reduce tearing potential vs. round holes in the center tube. It certainly reduces the velocity through the center tube perforations, and therefore overall differential pressure, but only the type & quantity of media affects the velocity through the media for a given flow set of conditions. This filter obviously uses wire backed media to reduce tearing potential and stand up to the operating conditions of the engine it's designed for.
I would counter, at least in this filter's case, there is at least as much surface area (actually, I think it is more) with this slot design versus holes. What is not readily apparent is there are slots on both sides (some facing up and the others facing down) and we are only seeing one half of them.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Waiting to see if crazyoildude will comment on the use of louvers by Wix, and his (unfounded) hypothesis this reduces the velocity of the oil through the media to reduce tearing potential vs. round holes in the center tube.

It certainly reduces the velocity through the center tube perforations, and therefore overall differential pressure, but only the type & quantity of media affects the velocity through the media for a given flow set of conditions. This filter obviously uses wire backed media to reduce tearing potential and stand up to the operating conditions of the engine it's designed for.

What a well designed louvered center tube does do is help more evenly distribute the oil flow through the media. An extreme example would be if there were only two large holes in the center tube opposite each other, then all the flow would be spit between those two holes. That would mean a pretty good concentration of oil flow would be going through the media just opposite those two holes, which could cause more force on the media at those two spots.

But as we have all seen. the old traditional center tube with a bunch of round holes has always seemed to work fine. I think the manufactures are switching to louvers because it's easier and less messy to manufacture that way. But I still would not feel comfortable if I look down the center of an oil filter and see louvers that are barely opened the thickness of a piece of paper. It shouldn't be rocket science to open them up a fair amount to take all doubt out of their flow capability.

That's a very robust looking filters, and I must agree that the louvers are nice and open..

.. but that oil is BLACK. Was there any additive in there with it, or are we just looking at lots of turbo soot?

Thanks

Looks good to me..

always curious about the magnetic drain plugs condition- so thanks for the update as well

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
always curious about the magnetic drain plugs condition- so thanks for the update as well
Here is a photo of the Gold Plug from my Explorer:

DvXwkk.jpg

I'd much rather have that ferrous goo on the plug that going round in the mill.

Thanks.

UD

Stout looking filter construction, very high quality imo. You definitely got your money's worth with these RA CQ filters.

As you bought these last year, shows Affinia/Wix using a louvered center tube design in some applications even before the M&H acquisition.

Thanks for pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back