Deck seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stained our deck last week. Definitely darker than anything we've used before. Almost a mahogany look, a little satiny finish - haven't decided how much I like that. All in all, doesn't look too bad for a 22 year old deck.

Last edited:
If you had just posted the second picture, I'd swear it was a dead ringer for my deck that I just stained this weekend. Ours is 21 years old this year.

We used Pittsburgh Paint Ultra Advanced Exterior Stain (Semi Transparent) in Cedartone. We tried it the last time we stained and were happy with the performance - managed to get three years out of it on the deck boards as opposed to 1 to 2 years on the Behr product the previous owner had been using.

Did notice the formulation had changed (the VOC was 1/2 what the previous version was), so time will tell if we are still happy...

How do you guys apply the stain... roller, spray, or brush? I've only done such a job once and I used a brush. I tied it to a short pole so I didn't have to get on my knees to do the job.

I use a 6" Deck and Stain Block Brush - the handle detaches and you can put it on the end of a long pole with a threaded end for attachments. Nice not having to kneel or have all the blood rush to your head while leaning over...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
How do you guys apply the stain... roller, spray, or brush? I've only done such a job once and I used a brush. I tied it to a short pole so I didn't have to get on my knees to do the job.

I've tried spray once, didn't care for it - and most product instructions tell you to back brush if spraying it.

So I just sit on the deck and brush it in. Do three boards at a time in 32" (joist to joist) sections, the move on to the next.......rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back