Rotella T6 5W40 - Considered Long Drain Interval ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if Rotella T6 5W40 used with a Fram Ultra oil filter in a Jeep 4.0L Inline 6 would be able to achieve a long drain interval of say up to 10,000 miles in fairly normal suburban driving conditions of 20 minutes or more drive time per trip ?

I dont see why not. I've seen UOA's that show T6 to be very stout, and one of the better choices for the 4.0.

I've had good luck running the larger FL1A filter on my 4.0, maybe there is a Fram ultra version, which could provide possibly better protection (more media). For me it didnt seem to change capacity much, still took 6 quarts.

Do you have any drips/leask? I've added about half a quart over 4,000 miles in mine just from leaking a small amount over that time.

I wonder if that motor was ever sold in the europe where long OCI's are more common? That could give you an idea.
My motors have 12k OCI's in europe so I've tried an OCI that long using the fram ultra filters and good syn oil.
It could be adding some extra wear, or maybe not, going by other UOA's with that distance it doesn't seem disastrous anyways.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wonder if that motor was ever sold in the europe where long OCI's are more common? That could give you an idea.
My motors have 12k OCI's in europe so I've tried an OCI that long using the fram ultra filters and good syn oil.
It could be adding some extra wear, or maybe not, going by other UOA's with that distance it doesn't seem disastrous anyways.

This is a good point and added to that if it has longer DIs you have to use the oils that use the spec from over the pond.

A friend of mine ran 12K-13K in a turbo subaru; long (50+ miles one way to work); UOA looked ok. So the answer is "It can be in this case"

It will cut MPG slightly. T6 is a great oil and I can easily go 18K in my Cummins diesel. And have done UOAs to verify.

I would say 10k in the 4.0 engine is possible but you need to do a UOA at 7500 and 10000 to be sure.

Skip the heavy stuff and go with a synthetic 10W-30 for a suburban commute, and sleep easy going 10k with a Fram Ultra. Mobil 1 is a good buy until the end of May with some nice rebates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Curious if Rotella T6 5W40 used with a Fram Ultra oil filter in a Jeep 4.0L Inline 6 would be able to achieve a long drain interval of say up to 10,000 miles in fairly normal suburban driving conditions of 20 minutes or more drive time per trip ?

T-6 is an excellent oil. It will do 10k fine. I use Motorcraft FL1-A filters. They hold up well. Fram PH8a is a direct replacement also. I've used both. There are a number of others that will cross reference to this #

The XG8 is definitely up to the task for filtering over 10k miles.

I think you'll be fine with T6 for that amount of mileage, but like evreyone else said: Do UOA's.

I run T6 in my 2002 Honda Civic and it didn't affect my mpg at all, and I check it at every fill up, and I've read some high milage uoa with T6 and it holds its weight very good, I will prob stick to 7500 in my application (oil will probably pretty black by then)

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

If the engine is in good condition, yes.
I've done oil change intervals up to 24,000 miles in my Dodge diesel with RT6, and it still had life left in it when I drained it. (Backed up by UOA's.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back