Anybody planting Bermuda Grass Seed this year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to wait until the soil temperature gets warm enough, right ?

You guys ever send your soil out for lab analysis ?

For seed I think the daily low temp is supposed to be 65f or warmer. Burmuda doesn't grow in full shade. In full sun it does need to be watered. Tap water doesn't work as well as rain does.

I have used those soil analysis kits,you can get them online or from local garden store. They may not be super accurate but worked for me. I have tried seed and SOD and I recommend SOD if it's an option for you. Bermuda is very thirsty.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Around here, Bermuda Grass is an invasive weed....

EXACTLY! After I bought my first home, the city did some drainage work on the area between the street and my portion of the sidewalk. When they seeded, they used a mixture which had a small amount of Bermuda grass in it. I quickly developed a hatred for it when it started to take over. Ended up spraying round up on my entire front yard, tilling and then re-seeding.

Around here, Bermuda is the only grass that'll survive our 117 degree summers.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Friends in Phoenix, AZ gave up on grass and naturalized there yard. Done well, it's quite attractive.

Bermuda a weed? never heard that before. Around here, Bermuda is king. Yes, the soil temperature has to be around 80F. What we do here is get Bermuda sod, then water it a lot. Once it takes root, it will take off like a bat out of....well, you know. But, it needs 100% sunlight, period. Will not tolerate shade...guess that's why it does so good here.

I love Bermuda grass and if I ever fet around to redoing my back yard Bermuda over seeded with a cool season grass will be ny choice. In the uard there are areas of Bermuda growing that get no water during the summer and my daughters horses eat the areas to the ground and it survives.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Friends in Phoenix, AZ gave up on grass and naturalized there yard. Done well, it's quite attractive.

There's a house in town, I bike past it often, that put crushed stone over the whole yard. Apparently they didn't like lawn work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back