Gym Membership Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a local gym chain called Fitness Evolution. The gym fees are $9.99 per month plus and annual fee of $39. They say you can cancel your membership anytime but must provide a written notice. Right now they have a sign up deal which consists of a $49 enrollment fee plus $9.99 ... so basically $58.99 to start. They take the money directly out of your checking account. That deal covers one location only and does not include any fitness classes. That's fine by me because all I intend to use is their weight machines and free weights. What you guys think ? Should I forget it and buy a bicycle instead ?

That for a whole year? I'd say go ahead!
Resistance training will promote your health so much it's worth it for that alone. Not to mention the improvement in the mirror it can provide. Don't overdo it though.
AND buy a bicycle, too, and use it for errands and commuting to work if it's not too far away. You'd be surprised how much quicker I am in the morning on my bike than people sitting in their cars. All the while I'm burning calories and feeling great
wink.gif

I'd be VERY careful of that setup with them taking funds automatically from your acct. I've heard far too many people burnt by greedy companies who will use any excuse to keep charging you monthly fees.

Ever since I graduated HS I've had a gym membership that I take advantage of at least 3-4 times a week. I ONLY go with gyms that allow me to prepay in full for the time I want for the reason listed above. Luckily I have an employer who covers 80% of my yearly fees.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792

Resistance training will promote your health so much it's worth it for that alone. Not to mention the improvement in the mirror it can provide. Don't overdo it though.

agreed

you typically cannot use a credit card at the mass market ones because they get stiffed by folks and also the fee involved to them.

I'd recommend a trial and see how you like it. Typically they will give a week free to see how you feel about. I think it's better to do Buy bike and gym membership.

I am only familiar with a Planet Fitness because a few friend own them and also 2 work at the local corporate hq. The two folks who own (different locales) them have gym memberships at more premier gyms locally.

LA Fitness that I belong to has the same arrangement and never a problem. I do check my card bill every month. Sounds like a favorable deal to me. Ed

Have to admit, it doesn't make sense to drive to a gym just to... ride the bike. That said, I understand why some wouldn't want to ride a bicycle in a city.

I'm somewhat of a bike snob so I think decent bikes, when new, start at the $1k mark. Used is still a few hundred for anything nice. And then getting fit for it, setting up the pedals, getting decent spandex, etc. Obviously plenty of people get cheap bikes and are quite happy with however they do it, I'm not going to demean anyone for how they set up their bikes--but IMO you get what you pay for.

I was quite sad when my local gym closed up shop. Had all the muscle machines and treadmills etc. Too cold much of the winter to bike, and quite frankly it was kinda nice to get out of the house and away from family for a few minutes... ahem.

Sounds like a good deal to me but the payment method bothers me. I'd offer to pay in cash and see what they say (claim you don't have a bank account).

I go to Planet Fitness and refuse to let them into my bank account, so I pay them $99 for a year when that special is offered...seems to be the only way I can use a CC for payment there.
Getting a bike would be great, but will do next to nothing for your upper body...notice how many pro bicyclists have pencil arms. I'd say ride a bike or run when you can AND hit the gym for some weight training. I used to bike a lot but got sick of all the equipment and hassle (like repairing flats on the fly), so I mostly run now.

Nah. Agree, if you know you're into it and have the money, buy the most decent bike you can afford. But to spend thousands, even hundreds when you don't even know if you like it or not, would not be a great idea IMHO.
I'd say start with a nice used one, then if you fall in love with the sport, spend top dollar if you want.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Nah. Agree, if you know you're into it and have the money, buy the most decent bike you can afford. But to spend thousands, even hundreds when you don't even know if you like it or not, would not be a great idea IMHO.
I'd say start with a nice used one, then if you fall in love with the sport, spend top dollar if you want.

Agreed; good point on going cheap initially. I started with a $5 bike, put 600 miles on it, decided I liked road bikes, and bought a $900 previous model year (so on sale). Not cheap but it's been a good six years now. [Said $5 bike was a decent 1980's 12 speed, wasn't in bad shape but it was done for after that summer & 600 miles, utterly knackered.]

Thankfully I've avoided flats but I refuse to buy the most lightweight tires. Also I'm probably apt to just call home and have the wife get me if that happens, depending upon how far from home I am.

I used to be a bit of a gym bug in my teens and 20's, last few years I've just lost the time. Still try to get out and bicycle aggressively a couple times a week but the gym just doesn't happen much.

I wouldn't say one replaces the other very effectively, though either are good training choices depending on your goals. One thing to consider with weights/resistance training is the condition of your joints. Thats another reason I don't hit the gym much, most of my lifts have become very....painful.

Edit: Another option which would supplement either above is purchasing a kettlebell or two for home workouts. Or try them at your gym. VERY intense, very effective. Won't give youer body-builder-pecs but builds functional strength.

A gym? No thanks. I much prefer to get outside for my exercise. Those folks that use those treadmills look to much like hamsters on a wheel-I'd find it too boring.

Getting outdoors and exercising is free-we walk the trails for a few miles every morning. Bicycling is only the cost of the bike, and the trails around here are great for biking. Even in the winter there's plenty to do outdoors-only the very worst weather keeps us inside. If the snow is deep we can toss on our snowshoes and walk the trails; 2 or 3 hours of that on a cold winters day is a great workout.

I would also be leery of the gym having access to your bank account. There are plenty of stories of gyms that will cancel your membership but keep charging you the fees.

Personally, I find it hard to go to gyms. I generally only have an hour to workout, so commuting to the gym really takes away time and motivation. Have you tried working out at home? I generally take a quick run (3-4 miles) around my neighborhood during my lunch break (I work from home, but you could do it before or after work) and then try to get in some pushups and dumbbell exercises in the evening. You won't look like Arnold, but it will keep you in shape, it only takes around an hour a day, and it's free.

Short answer: Get a bike and your own weights at 50 cents/lb.

Long answer: Bet they have an "early termination fee"; had one like that, the membership dues handling was provided by an outside company, and to leave early they required proof I'd moved out of the area (a bill to the new address), 30 days written notice, and they continued to charge the fees until all that had been sent in and the next billing cycle went....sent notice in October and got charged through February.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Short answer: Get a bike and your own weights at 50 cents/lb.

Long answer: Bet they have an "early termination fee"; had one like that, the membership dues handling was provided by an outside company, and to leave early they required proof I'd moved out of the area (a bill to the new address), 30 days written notice, and they continued to charge the fees until all that had been sent in and the next billing cycle went....sent notice in October and got charged through February.

Agree with all this.

Work out at home with your own exercise equipment. No need to pay these places a dime...unless you are into the meat market (women). I never enjoyed clubs as the level of irritation as well as distractions (women again) was not my thing.
Dealing with the teeny-bopper "staff" was never fun either. Long on sales...short on subtlety.

Or join a YMCA. Good if you travel as you have your AWAY benefits (Always Welcome At the Y)

Might cost a bit more, but you'll likely have certified instructors and at least at our Y, we have pretty good camaraderie with the members.

We do organized weekend bike rides with others in the Spin, Bootcamp and Crossfit classes as well as other social gatherings.

I think I pay about $70/month for the whole family and can use any Y in the STL metro area now that SW IL and the Gateway YMCA have combined into one local organization.

I do admit, I drive to the Y, as I usually need to shower and head to work or a customer site after my workout. Sometimes I'll ride my bike the 3 miles one way.

Get a trial membership for a week and try it out before you commit. I joined one of the $9.99 a month gyms a few years back briefly. It was always very packed it took forever to get a workout in. Also the people that join those types of gyms are... well... not the best bunch of people if you get my drift.

I cancelled after a month or two and it was a huge hassle. They charged us for like 3 more months and we had to write into the "corporate office" a few times to get it resolved.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I think Planet fitness tends to run a $99 special a couple times a year, I think at least once in August and I can't remember the other time, either in February or in December.

Otherwise what that gym is doing is pretty standard, they all make it difficult to cancel and they make their money on the people who don't show up. At peak hours, those gyms tend to be pretty crowded and you have to wait to use equipment.

At the other end of the spectrum, there's classpass which lets you try out several gyms in your city. I think the prices vary from city to city, mine is in the $65-$180 range depending on how many classes you take per month.

Go with the Gym. The diversity of equipment is great. You won't get bored. You will get guidance on using the machines and that will allow to target your weaknesses. The "scenery"is sometimes very good. Worth the price of admission.

I have been going to a gym for 7 years. At tyhe age of 70 I don't know another 70+ year old in better shape.

Forget the home workouts/bicycles. They both get old. IMHO

Outside exercise is great also. But it needs to be supplemented.
Again, look at the whole picture..proper diet and controlling bp and cholesterol.

Just my experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back