Advice on Jeep Wrangler fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 90000 kms, my Jeep Wrangler is about due for new fluid in the manual transmission, transfer case and both differentials. One option is to go all Mopar however, I think the following would be more cost effective:

Transmission: Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid
(Pennzoil Syncromesh is also approved but hard to find at a decent price in Canada)

Transfer Case: Motomaster ATF+4

Differentials: Motomaster 80w90 Gear Oil

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
My 02 shifts much better with royal purple synchromesh fluid. Did you really go 100k on the differentials? Mine was nasty @36k.

That was another option on my list. No, changed it out once before at 40k, sees a fair bit of mud!

For the transmission I would put in some sort of quality synchromesh. Pennzoil is what I put in my NV3500 in my Dodge and WOW, that thing shifts smooth now.

In my Jeep, the low-pinion dana 30 in the front doesn't seem to care what I put in it. Especially since the hubs have sealed wheel bearings.

I think the JK wranglers got rid of the c-clipped rear so you shouldn't have to deal with tapered roller wheel bearings. So I assume the rear diff won't care what you put in it either.

I'd use a syn 75w-90 in the difs. I don't know what they cost in Canada, but here they're about $10qt. vs. $5-8 a qt. for a conventional.

The differentials don't care, as long as it's not all water/mud. Found that one out the hard way. I use cheap 80w90 in the front and cheap 85w140 in the rear. The auto locker is fine.

Transfer case really doesn't care, as long as it's auto transmission fluid of any sort. But you aren't buying a ton, so you can use ATF+4 and your wallet won't care

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The differentials don't care, as long as it's not all water/mud. Found that one out the hard way. I use cheap 80w90 in the front and cheap 85w140 in the rear. The auto locker is fine.

Transfer case really doesn't care, as long as it's auto transmission fluid of any sort. But you aren't buying a ton, so you can use ATF+4 and your wallet won't care

In this instant, the Cheap stuffs offer you superior MOFT for wear protection.
lol.gif

Provide me evidence that the Supertech gear oil is inferior to anything else?

There's no point in putting in $30/qt royal purple or whatever everyone's favorite boutique oil is when I have to change it multiple times per year.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

There's no point in putting in $30/qt royal purple or whatever everyone's favorite boutique oil is when I have to change it multiple times per year.

Precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back