Recent Topics
2015 VW GTI autobahn oil questions
by Skyalbo
06/24/18 11:28 PM
Corrosion in the garage - salt or humidity?
by Kurtatron
06/24/18 11:13 PM
Darn dogs
by AZjeff
06/24/18 10:21 PM
New GC?
by Bullwinkle007
06/24/18 10:04 PM
The guy with the plexiglass head on you tube
by andyd
06/24/18 09:21 PM
'07 Pacifica Timing Belt Replacement success
by 92saturnsl2
06/24/18 09:10 PM
SAE 90 v 85/140
by Knuckle078
06/24/18 09:10 PM
Mobil 1 5W30-HM 5,011 mi, 1999 Ford Escort
by WA1DH
06/24/18 08:45 PM
what happened to merk
by ernied
06/24/18 08:34 PM
Schaeffer's oil reviews on Amazon
by zfasts03
06/24/18 07:41 PM
Decent MP3 player
by Ed_T
06/24/18 07:08 PM
Letgo
by Donald
06/24/18 06:52 PM
Tire buying advice
by supton
06/24/18 06:23 PM
Two versions of M1 5w30 ESP now?
by Patman
06/24/18 06:21 PM
No older cars in New York State?
by Oldtom
06/24/18 06:19 PM
2009 Taurus strut mount noise
by terry274
06/24/18 04:38 PM
A3/B3 vs A3/B4, big difference or irrelevant?
by FordCapriDriver
06/24/18 03:36 PM
2003 Honda power steering problem
by hogpops
06/24/18 03:29 PM
Public Service Announcement: Flush Your HW Heater
by gathermewool
06/24/18 03:25 PM
Fellow 2AZ-FE toyota owners: what oil are you usin
by car51
06/24/18 03:21 PM
Newest Members
lozpxs, danthemanx07, FunktasticLucky, Knuckle078, penncove
65317 Registered Users
Who's Online
33 registered (dishdude, Aero540T, cb_13, CharlieBauer, andyd, 2 invisible), 901 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65317 Members
67 Forums
285952 Topics
4771871 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#4104085 - 05/23/16 06:37 AM Ghost Gunner
Merkava_4 Offline


Registered: 01/30/07
Posts: 17501
Loc: Clovis, CA
Ghost Gunner

You buy the 80% completed AR-15 lower receiver and then buy the self contained CNC machine that completes the rest of the 20%. You now have a fully functional lower receiver that has no serial number and is completely untraceable. All the other parts of the AR-15 can be purchased easily online.


Top
#4104090 - 05/23/16 06:45 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Merkava_4]
Taildragger Offline


Registered: 10/17/10
Posts: 437
Loc: SW Florida
That is fine as long as you don't sell it,,, except in California.
_________________________
04 F-150 5.4
73 Big Block, 4sp Corvette
15 Mazda 3
Couple of airplanes

Top
#4104136 - 05/23/16 07:57 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Merkava_4]
Reddy45 Online   shocked


Registered: 08/15/08
Posts: 2973
Loc: USA
Not sure why the tone of your post makes this seem devious. Home manufacture of firearms is and has been legal for decades. This is nothing but technology catching up.

Top
#4104137 - 05/23/16 07:59 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Merkava_4]
Bandito440 Offline


Registered: 02/13/12
Posts: 3854
Loc: NEUS
$1,500 CNC
$100 shipping
$65 80% lower

How badly do you need a lower that's "untraceable" and comes without any factory support?
_________________________
'14 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
Rotella T6 5w-40 & OEM filter

Top
#4104143 - 05/23/16 08:07 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Reddy45]
Bandito440 Offline


Registered: 02/13/12
Posts: 3854
Loc: NEUS
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Not sure why the tone of your post makes this seem devious. Home manufacture of firearms is and has been legal for decades. This is nothing but technology catching up.

I can't recall the wording, but there's some legal loophole involving the purchase of a nearly-complete receiver and finishing it at home. However, once the item meets the definition of a firearm, it's required to have a serial number by the ATF's interpretation.

There's no value in that to me, but perhaps someone who's worried about the gubmint boogeyman would see fit to purchase such an item.


Edited by Bandito440 (05/23/16 08:12 AM)
_________________________
'14 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
Rotella T6 5w-40 & OEM filter

Top
#4104150 - 05/23/16 08:15 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Bandito440]
bubbatime Offline


Registered: 03/18/08
Posts: 5628
Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
However, once the item meets the definition of a firearm, it's required to have a serial number by the ATF's interpretation.


If you machine it for your own use, there is no requirement that it have a serial number.
_________________________
17 Chrysler Pacifica Mobil 1 5W30
13 Yamaha XT250 Valv MC 10W40
12 Suzuki S40 Rotella 15W40
10 Acura TSX 2.4 PZL Plat 5W30
06 GMC Sierra Nextgen 10W30



Top
#4104151 - 05/23/16 08:17 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Merkava_4]
AZjeff Offline


Registered: 01/14/11
Posts: 2656
Loc: PV Az
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Ghost Gunner

You buy the 80% completed AR-15 lower receiver and then buy the self contained CNC machine that completes the rest of the 20%. You now have a fully functional lower receiver that has no serial number and is completely untraceable. All the other parts of the AR-15 can be purchased easily online.


And perfectly legal in most states. What's the problem? Many companies that make the 80% lowers also make a jig that you can use in a normal drill press or standard mill to finish the machining. Nothing new here except the form factor of the tool.

It costs $1500 and you can only legally make lowers for yourself. You can't sell them or give them away, so what's the point really? Criminals aren't going to bother, they just get their guns by whatever illegal means they choose.
_________________________
86 Samurai 1.3 leftovers
14 RAV4 2.5 5W-20 PP *gasp*
16 Silverado 1500 4.3 Ecotec3, DI, AFM 5W-30 PP

Why know when you can guess?!


Top
#4104153 - 05/23/16 08:19 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Bandito440]
billt460 Offline


Registered: 03/30/15
Posts: 4416
Loc: Glendale, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
How badly do you need a lower that's "untraceable" and comes without any factory support?


Exactly. I think this whole "80% lower" nonsense is all far more trouble than it's worth. You can purchase 100% finished lower receivers on sale for a song from places like CDNN and Palmetto. And they're guaranteed to work correctly. These "kitchen table specials", built on 80% lowers by people with zero machining experience, have as much desirability and resale value as a rusty Gremlin or Pacer. Think about it. Would you buy one?

As far as the government boogey man, that in itself is a joke. If the government wanted your non serialized, home made guns that bad, they would simply legislate you into being a criminal. Just like they're doing in California and New York with 30 round magazines. All it will take is a mass shooting with one of these 80% guns, or a terrorist bomb made with Tannerite from Cabela's, and watch how fast both of them disappear, and become illegal by merely possessing them.

Top
#4104160 - 05/23/16 08:28 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Bandito440]
Merkava_4 Offline


Registered: 01/30/07
Posts: 17501
Loc: Clovis, CA
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
How badly do you need a lower that's "untraceable" and comes without any factory support?


What good is having a serialized fully registered AR-15 when they come and take it from you ?

If you're the registered owner, they know where you live.

Top
#4104163 - 05/23/16 08:34 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Merkava_4]
TheOnlySarge Offline


Registered: 02/27/16
Posts: 104
Loc: Texas Hill Country
Man this is old news for sure! Simple drill press and X-Y vise is all I have and I make them for myself. Been legal for many years.
And Merkava what is this registration you speak of? Never registered a gun in my life. FFL does the form 4473 (background check) and that info is deleted by the FBI within 24 hours by law.

Top
#4104166 - 05/23/16 08:35 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Merkava_4]
billt460 Offline


Registered: 03/30/15
Posts: 4416
Loc: Glendale, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you're the registered owner, they know where you live.


If that's a concern, buy one privately from a gun show or on line. If you bought it new, tell them you sold it years ago to pay the vet bill when your dog got sick. B.S.'ing is easier, and more cost effective than machining. And let's face it, if they're coming for your guns, they're coming. They're not going to be smiling when you open the door. Regardless of what you own.

Top
#4104179 - 05/23/16 08:46 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: billt460]
Merkava_4 Offline


Registered: 01/30/07
Posts: 17501
Loc: Clovis, CA
Originally Posted By: billt460
If that's a concern, buy one privately from a gun show or on line.


I'm pretty sure they'd call me a felon for buying a gun out of state and then hauling it back to California.

Top
#4104182 - 05/23/16 08:48 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Merkava_4]
billt460 Offline


Registered: 03/30/15
Posts: 4416
Loc: Glendale, Arizona
With idiots like this going after your "untraceable" guns and 30 round magazines, do you really think they're "safe" from the gubbermint? As always, common sense is never that common.






Top
#4104188 - 05/23/16 08:59 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: billt460]
HerrStig Offline


Registered: 08/24/11
Posts: 9560
Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By: billt460
With idiots like this going after your "untraceable" guns and 30 round magazines, do you really think they're "safe" from the gubbermint? As always, common sense is never that common.





THERE'S a moron for ya.

Top
#4104202 - 05/23/16 09:31 AM Re: Ghost Gunner [Re: Merkava_4]
Blkstanger Offline


Registered: 08/13/11
Posts: 1948
Loc: Lakeside, CA
We have a shop that has this service right here in town.
http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/01/29/gun-enthusiasts-build-their-own-weapons/
_________________________
99 Jeep WJ 4.7 185,000 Maxlife 10w30, Fram Ultra.

Top
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >