2004 corolla with sludge fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new in the forum and registered especially for this question hope you can help me
I have a Toyota corolla 2004 with 3zz Fe engine that owned for 3 years at the start I used Toyota oil 10w30 that it burns about 1.5 Lt every 5000 km and had to clean the oil screen every year to clean oil sludge that was formed because previous owner changed oil every 15000 km now I I used different oil type max life and Mobil 1 the only oil that stopped the burn is liqui moly 5w40 now the problem is liqui moly is fine oil and clean the sludge well causing the oil screen to get dirty only after 1 month of use can I use liqui moly engine flush to clean what's left or what can I do I don't want to harm the engine
Thank you

What does it look like under the valve cover? Its possible most of your sludge is coming from that area and may need to be cleaned manually.
I would begin by removing the valve cover to get a better idea of your your dealing with and doing an overnight piston soak through the spark plug holes.

Manually clean the head and drain back holes if necessary, remove the pan and clean it and the pickup screen then run a short oil change with cheap oil to flush any residual away.
Post pictures and ask questions if you need help on how to do any of this.
I would probably run Mobil 1 0w30, Castrol 0w40, or Euro Castrol 0w30 in this engine in your climate, you will probably be better served with an oil with a 3.5 min HTHS.

albums...zkh2q.jpg
[/img]

Clean under valve cover, clean oil pan & screen, valve soak, and short OCIs as suggested above. I prefer 5 or 10w30, but If 5w40 is working for you, then keep using it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
ground head directly to the frame with an aluminium wire!
Why? (this has GOT to be good)

Mean can I use liqui moly engine flush for 10 minute cause my friend advised for doing it as he is mechanic and will it be effective in washing the remaining sludge

Originally Posted By: Msalem
Mean can I use liqui moly engine flush for 10 minute cause my friend advised for doing it as he is mechanic and will it be effective in washing the remaining sludge

That depends on how much sludge you have. Heavy sludge and a fast flush can plug up the oil pick up screen, that would not be good. I'd follow Trav's advise in this case.

Hmm.... the sludge appears bad to me.
Trav's guide should work for you ....
Do consider dual rated HDEO 15W40 for sevetal short OCIs' for cleaning up.
blush.gif

If it's easy to remove the sump and clean it and the oil pump intake screen, then I would start by doing that.

If it's a valuable engine and the sump was bad, I would then clean the top end, although that can be a long messy job.

In most cases you can just use an idle only flush additive just before an oil & filter change. I've never heard of the Liqui Moly idle flush blocking an intake screen, although it might well block up the oil filter in a very bad case.

Idle flush additives are far safer than drive around oil scourers like MMO (LM also make one), because if the oil filter blocks and goes into bypass for 10 mins at idle, it won't do any real harm. If fact most engines are OK for 10 mins at idle with no oil flow, although obviously if the low oil pressure warning light comes on, you should switch off.

The only disadvantage of using a good major brand (LM, Amsoil or Castrol) oil flush additive is that it might increase the oil consumption or drip rate for a while.

I have used Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5w40 before and it's a real good oil, but tends to be rather expensive.
Shell (Penn in the US) Ultra or Mobil 1 will both help clean up an old block quickly if you keep the OCI fairly short.

LM oil sludge cleaner TDS:
https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000020/...voiladb=web.nsf
(Note the warning about cleaning the sump)

LM idle flush additive:
https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000624/...voiladb=web.nsf

LM Proline flush:
https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000065/...voiladb=web.nsf

Last edited:
Amsoil oil flush additive PDS:
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2763.pdf

The Castrol flush additive is not easy to obtain, although it was listed in their classic car products section, although I can't find it at present.

If you do decide to use a drive around flush, you will get what you pay for and the LM one that is only used for the last few hundred km does contain additional Moly to help offset the extra wear induced by thinning the oil with solvents. I would never use it in a turbo charged engine.

Last edited:
? why you got to ground directly? ok ,nevermind then .keep doing what your doing right now . if engineer havent bothered to know the full law of electricity ? who am i to change that !

ps: electron are so lazy that if they see an occsion to spark where you dont want want it will!

i stick to what i said . put a ground from the aluminium to the frame .i suggest the head ( yes you can remove the original ground ) but why bother .its a drag and i am with the electron on this one the less work the better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back