Leave it on or shut it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is better to leave your computer on 24/7 (and putting it in sleep mode when not using it) or turning it off and restarting it a couple times a day? Computer in question is an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 7.

I shut my laptop down every evening but just use sleep mode during the day when I'm in meetings or something. It's still running good after 5.5 years.

I haven't restarted my computer in a few years. no reason to really. it's linux though, so that might change things. My wifes win7 laptop runs 24/7 as well. it sleeps when not in use though. i don't know that it's been restarted in a year or so.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
I haven't restarted my computer in a few years. no reason to really. it's linux though, so that might change things. My wifes win7 laptop runs 24/7 as well. it sleeps when not in use though. i don't know that it's been restarted in a year or so.

not even for updates?

I just put our computers to sleep. When I see over 100 days of uptime, or remember to, I restart it. If it gets updates, often that causes a restart..

The average runtime of my Apple computers is 51 days right now. My Windows machine crashes something pretty regularly, so is rebooted every few days.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Leave it on and restart it every week or two for a freshen up.

same here

I remember a while back, reading someone had measured the electrical useage of a couple of laptops and desktops when on sleep, compared to running a couple of apps. I remember the Dell (I had one at that time) on sleep used something like 1/40 of the juice that it did when it was on and running with light useage. From that point onward, I've used sleep/standby as the usual method.

If by "better" you mean, "What uses less juice," then of course turning it off would be better. If you meant, "What would only use little to no juice, but still be very quick to display," then it would be sleep.

Shut mine down every night.
56.gif

Mine gets turned off when the power goes out, which isn't very often around here. I do restart it periodically to make sure it has all the updates.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It is better to leave your computer on 24/7 (and putting it in sleep mode when not using it) or turning it off and restarting it a couple times a day? Computer in question is an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 7.

If your walking away from or not going to be using your computer for more then an hour. Shut it off, there is no more reason to leave a computer running then leaving a light bulb on in a room your not in except use energy and bandwidth in your home.. .oh and possibly allowing hackers or malware access to your computer 24 hours a day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back