Nissan Sentra's next oil change, questions/concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's time to do an oil change on 2 sentras that are in my family. Both run full synthetic oil 5w-30. One is a 2007 2.0 with 108k miles, the other is a 2004 1.8 with 107k miles. I've done some research but when I thought my research has come to a conclusion I get another answer going against it.

My question is, should I put in a high mileage oil in them? 100k miles doesn't seem like a proper time to switch over but I could be wrong. I've looked into Royal Purple (burned quickly after 2k miles), Amsoil, Motul, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum and had good results (took longer to burn).

Neither car leaks, and I always use a quality oil filter (Wix/Purolator)
I've been looking into Mobil 1, or a possible "store brand" oil. I read about a "walmart" oil being approved by Blackstone labs for a guys GMC canyon. Not trying to dump extra cash on a product to have something cheaper be of the same quality.

Never ran any other weight oil other than 5w-30,
Any help is appreciated.

Wecome fellow nutmeggr'; I would stick with what you have been doing. 100K isn't really high mileage these days regardless of what the marketers indicate.

How many miles between OCs?

Last edited:
If neither car leaks or burns oil then NO. Keep doing what you're doing. Oh, and welcome! Yes, SuperTech is an excellent oil. Any SN, gf 5 oil is good for that matter even store brands. Right now there's a rebate running for PP- buy 5 qts get $10 back.

Last edited:
Depends on how much they burn. If a negligible amount, I would stick with what you're doing. If you have to put in more than 1 quart during an OCI, I would consider switching to a high mileage oil.

When I was dating my now wife, she drove 2005 Sentra Limited. She did oil cahnegs in Nissan, and when we started to date I started to change oil in her car. Switched from castrol Semi-Synthetic that burned a bit in Sentra to M1 5W30 full synthetic. Never burned a drop of oil. I used though OEM oil filters only!
I would stick to M1 5W30 Full synthetic. 100+K is nothing.

I couldn't quite make out your current situation. What do you run in your car now, and does it use oil (you said it doesn't leak, but does it burn)?

M1, PP or QSUD 5w30 get my vote
smile.gif

Hey edyvw.... you don't have to use the OEM filters for the Nissan Sentra:)

A Fram Ultra, tough guard, Carquest red, Mobil one filter would be fine. I agree with your oil recommendation here. Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic is a fine choice.

I've have Havoline Pro DS in my Altima currently and its running very very good on this. For $20.99 that is a fine deal. I wonder if the Nissan 4 cylinder motors are has hard on oil like the V6s..

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Napa Synthetic is on sale this month for only $2.99 a quart. It's rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

THIS!! Napa Synthetic is great. Buy 2-3 cases and dont worry about oil for the next two years. At $2.99/quart , its a no brainer.

Guess I rambled a bit, well the 2007 sentra was bought new and the 2004 had 44k miles on it when we bought it. I ran different brands based on sales and word of mouth.

The Royal Purple was the one that burned, sorry I may have worded it bad. The oil broke down? Basically turned black after 2k miles but the Pennzoil UP was still great at 3k.

Between the 2 sentras I seems like they prefer one oil vs another, just seeing what's best out there, everyone has their own they prefer based on past experience. If I can find the napa oil I'll give it a try, if not I'll give the valvoline synpower a try. I have a few blackstone containers so a check wouldn't hurt either

Last edited:
Also, to mention, I ran M1 5W30 full synthetic in Sentra for 5K. Never burned a drop, always go to bit dirty color, but that should happen, means oil is doing its job.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey edyvw.... you don't have to use the OEM filters for the Nissan Sentra:)

A Fram Ultra, tough guard, Carquest red, Mobil one filter would be fine. I agree with your oil recommendation here. Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic is a fine choice.

I've have Havoline Pro DS in my Altima currently and its running very very good on this. For $20.99 that is a fine deal. I wonder if the Nissan 4 cylinder motors are has hard on oil like the V6s..

LOL, i know. But when it comes to oil filter, I am always on the safe side. Not big difference in price IMO.

SuperTech synthetic or Napa synthetic (while it's on sale) is all you need. Even those may be overkill as you didn't mention your OCI.

I bought 25qt of the napa synthetic, got a few other cars that need oil. I change it around 5k miles on my wrx but I go 7500 on the nissans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back