bed bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter models Asian clothes from time to time and gets clothes from Japan in boxes via the post office. I guess one must have had some bed bugs and now they are in her bedroom. On top of that she is allergic to a lot of stuff.

Anyone had experience and dealt with it?

When my son came back home from college a few years back, he brought back bed bugs too. They are the devil! If she is in NY, there are lots of restrictions on what you can buy on the net and use.

Until she gets the right chemicals, or a professional exterminator to come in and treat them, she can use straight alcohol in a spray bottle to kill them. The alcohol will have to be sprayed directly on the bed bug to kill it. My local Walmart sales alcohol by the gallons now, and I bet it's because of bed bugs.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ Due to bed bug resistance, a dual action chemical is best for the job. I used Transport Mikron with dual action chemicals, and it laid waste to the bed bugs. Bayer Temprid SC is dual action, and it is supposed to be very good, but it is expensive.

The vacuum cleaner is the bedbug's biggest enemy. Thorough weekly vacuuming will go a long way in preventing and combating them. They often live hidden in or behind wall hangings, so take down paintings and vacuum the back side of them.

Some exterminators use a system to blow finely pulverized snow throughout the house to kill them on contact.

No, never had them.

But, I just learned that Cloxox Bleach (Liquid / Concentrate)
disinfects for only one year from Date of Manufacture.

To read Clorox Date Code of E616077 MD2 2 22
The 16 means 2016
The 077 means March 17 (the 77th day of the year)

I had some that was older and it had NO Clorox smell.
That meant the chemical that does the disinfecting was gone.
The same Clorox did whiten cloths, but did not disinfect.

Clorox sent me an e-mail saying that the Tablets and Crystal do not sanitize.

If her bed is ground zero, I would get rid of the mattress and box springs. Buy a new bed, and put a bed bug proof cover on the mattress, and on the box springs until the bed bugs are gone for good which is going to take months to be absolutely sure.

Also, a steam cleaner can be very effective at killing them. Once you get bed bugs, it's going to cost a good chunk of change to get rid of them yourself or by a professional. A professional exterminator can come in, and they can heat the inside of the dwelling to kill bed bugs. It's expensive, but it is also very effective from what I read a few years back.

She needs to take all her clothing, and put it in a dryer for 30 minutes on high heat. Put them in trash bags, or what ever container that can be sealed. She will have to live out of bags until they are gone.

Where ever you sleep or sit, that's the most likely place to find them, so she needs to check her couches and chairs too.

Diatomaceous earth gets them too. Leave trails of it around. It's harmless to bigger creatures.

Go for a multi pronged approach. They are the devil.

If they are still a problem next winter you can freeze them out if it comes to it. But you'd have to winterize your house.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Diatomaceous earth gets them too. Leave trails of it around. It's harmless to bigger creatures.

Go for a multi pronged approach. They are the devil.

If they are still a problem next winter you can freeze them out if it comes to it. But you'd have to winterize your house.
frown.gif

+1 Diatomaceous earth food grade..
can also make bait traps with dry ice.

I use Diatomaceous earth for earwig control. Very safe

I call [censored] on "But, I just learned that Cloxox Bleach (Liquid / Concentrate)
disinfects for only one year from Date of Manufacture" This is marketing and lawyer [censored] IF it is in sealed container. I agree once it open and oxygen gets it then it will degrade.

==============

Diatomaceous earth for the pool can cause cancer, it says it right on the box. I never heard of food grade Diatomaceous earth but if there is such a thing I guess it is OK but I would very careful.

Last edited:
Only time I saw them was in a hotel in London. I am alergic to mosquitos and all kindn of bugs and my arm got really nasty for a month, so much itch and scartch even with mild common medicine... The exterminator company took out all wooden trims out of the wall and such to apply those venom.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123

Diatomaceous earth for the pool can cause cancer, it says it right on the box. I never heard of food grade Diatomaceous earth but if there is such a thing I guess it is OK but I would very careful.

Thats because filter grade is chemically changed(crystallized) and is bad

food grade is fine... you don't want to breathe in a cloud its like dust.... but safe.
http://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY

15$ last week when I got this year's supply.

very basic explanation
http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

No personal experience, but saw on some show that they used heat instead of pesticides to kill. From searching on the web it looks like 113 degrees is lethal. 15 minutes for hatched bed bugs, 60 minutes for eggs. Like I said I have no experience,but it's worth looking into. If the room is fairly small doesn't seem like it would be that hard with some decent size portable heaters.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
My buddy says 91% rubbing alcohol will kill them. He's on the road a lot for business.

Does he pour rubbing alcohol on every hotel mattress he sleeps on?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

He shoots them with a spray bottle I think.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

He shoots them with a spray bottle I think.

If I check into a hotel and I have to spray bed bugs with rubbing alcohol, I'm outta there.

If I check into a hotel and I have to spray bed bugs with rubbing alcohol, I'm outta there.

LOL!!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back