Fram Ultra ADBV problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 94 Miata and they have a propensity for valvetrain noise upon start-up and really valvetrain noise in general. I was running Rotella T6 5W-40 and a Fram ultra and there was a rattle almost every start-up.

I have switched to a cheap (red can) Purolator and Mobil 1 high mileage 10W-30 full synthetic. Since the change there has been no rattle and there is actually greater oil pressure.

Any thoughts?

As my friend above has stated, welcome to BITOG. I hope this will not be your last post as BITOG can be both an informative and sometimes entertaining forum.

My son has a 2002 Miata and the filter is mounted on the side of the block at approximately a 90 degree angle.

It's a bear to get off if it's cranked down too tight.

With the filter orientation, a bad ADBV would, indeed, be a problem.

I've been using Bosch Distance Plus and Wix filters on both the Miata and his RX8 without any start up rattle.

Only time an oil filter gives 'better oil pressure' is when the oil pump is in pressure relief, and I doubt that was happening at start-up. At near redline, yes you might see a difference in oil pressure depending on what filter you're using.

i had the same noise issue .no light coming on etc just the rattle this year i switched to the new supertech st6607 from walmart (2016) and noise went away so my issue was the filter

Originally Posted By: A_Nelsen
I drive a 94 Miata and they have a propensity for valvetrain noise upon start-up and really valvetrain noise in general. I was running Rotella T6 5W-40 and a Fram ultra and there was a rattle almost every start-up.

I have switched to a cheap (red can) Purolator and Mobil 1 high mileage 10W-30 full synthetic. Since the change there has been no rattle and there is actually greater oil pressure.

Any thoughts?

You also switched oil grades, so why are you assuming it's a filter issue?

To point to a specific like the adbv is the problem, the filter should be cut open and the defect found and verified. The adbv design is solid and well established as working as intended. Just like the tearing Purolators were verified and the specific problem shown clearly.
It's good the red cans are starting to be used, but unlike the white Classic (which likely is the same filter IMO) probably won't be cut open enough to get an updated spreadsheet on the tearing problem.
A different grade and brand of oil was used, so it is pretty far away from saying the adbv is the specific problem. You wanted thoughts.

Now you done it. I had a similar problem with an engine and this filter, your engine is at fault not the filter even though changing the filter made the noise go away.
I am not convinced these Fram filters are everything they are cracked up to be.
27.gif

BTW - forgot to mention that the 'greater oil pressure' (probably noticed at cold start-up) was due to a thicker oil being used - 10W instead of 5W.

To be specific, I do not know whether it was the filter or the oil. The filter was not cut open. The oil pressure being higher is my observation when the engine is hot.

I will add that at the time of oil change I replaced the valve cover gasket and saw before me a nice and clean engine.

If it's down low and sideways, it's like the filter on my S-10. Fram orange can was a filter that would cause noise. Ultras do not.

I'm not so sure we can blame the adbv, if the oil viscosity cganged, though m1 hm can't be too far off from t6. But M1 makes engines louder, right??!?

I forgot to add. I had valvetrain noise upon hot restarts, but only when the engine sat between 20min and 2 hours. The noise would last a few minutes each time.

If you go on a Miata forum, you might find that happens to most 1st generation Miatas.

I had a 1991 Miata that developed a warm lifter tick for a couple of minutes after re-starting warm.

I switched from the Mazda recommended 10w-30 to 5w-30 [same brand; Napa, Carquest, or Master Mechanic] and it went away.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Framboys will never admit to a problem.

First the problem and cause have to be identified to believe it. There isn't anything to admit without proof. Assumptions can be wrong. Not admitting, denying, a problem is seeing a Purolator torn filters spreadsheet, many pictures of torn Purolator filters, ignoring the evidence, and saying there is no problem. Haven't seen anyone dissect the claimed Fram tickers to see what is wrong, just make the claim, cast doubt, and go. No sending in, nothing. Has nothing at all to do with the product being made by Fram.

Could be an individual filter problem...it can happen to any brand. Since you both changed the oil and used a different brand and model filter you really won't ever know if it was the filter and if it was a one off issue or a overall issue with the FU on your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
You also switched oil grades, so why are you assuming it's a filter issue?

The viscosity differences between typical 5W40 and 10W30 at above 30F are very minimal, so it begs the question what temps are the two grades used.

OK. I can believe this to be true. I have run into this problem on the Ultra 7317 filters 4 times. How I know is this? I read on a post several years ago about how to check the sealing ability of the ADBV of an oil filter. You get an oil filter nipple that fits your particular filter. Screw said nipple into the filter and blow into it. If air comes out around the ADBV, there is a sealing problem. I have had this happen to 4 of the 7317 ultra filters in a row at a local walmart. I tried this technique on the tough guard and they sealed fine. I tried a different Walmart and found 3 ultra 7317 filters which did seal fine, so I purchased those three. So, yes, I can see a problem with the ADBV sealing correctly in certain instances. I now use this technique on all the oil filters I purchase for my Nissans.

It is the filter causing the startup noise, at least on my 92 Miata. I installed a fram ultra filter and am using PYB 10w-30 and the startup rattle was very noticeable. Next oil change switched to a Napa filter and still used PYB 10w-30 and the startup rattle went away. Fast forward to the next oil change and I installed another Fram ultra filter since I already had one on hand and voila, startup rattle again.
I honestly think that the ultra is not really a good filter to use on the Miata N/A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back