Shell Friction Modified Technology in VPower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Shell Friction Modified Technology in VPower any special advantage over the friction additives used in BP or Caltex or Others.

Or is it and just marketing hype for the unlearned ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a formulator could help us here, but it would seem reasonable to me that there would be a lot of things in other fuels, too, that we really don't understand or simply take for granted. I don't doubt that Shell V-Power Nitro+ is great fuel. In fact, that's about all I've used for several months. However, I suspect that Shell is just better at "talking up" their fuel than the others.

They should be proud, but we're not comparing a Rolls Royce to a buckboard, here.

That or they're wisely avoiding the thread.
wink.gif

I add my own friction modifier to the fuel I get. We don't get nitro+ here, but if I'm abroad or can't find the brand I usually get I always go for Shell V-power. I get the least dpf regens with it but it's also the most expensive fuel. The fuel I usually get is amongst the cheapest, yet is the only one I found to delay the dpf regens (not as much as v-power, but close).

We do get V-Power diesel here. However, I think he's referring mostly to the gasoline, at least in my view, because the gasoline advertising literature is actually mentioning friction modification. In fact, it mentions a pile of stuff that no one else mentions. Their TV ads are a little shorter on details, of course.

The V-power label Shell are using applies to both their top end petrol (Gasoline) and diesel.

This link is for the Shell info on V-power and it appears the new friction modifiers are just detergents, not some new bling bling high tech upper cylinder lubricant:

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fu...s-unleaded.html

Interesting part:

Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded with Friction Modification Technology (FMT) is designed to help reduce friction in critical areas of your engine, helping them turn more freely.
*Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle, age of vehicle, driving conditions and driving style
Actual potential benefits relate to a detergency element which is designed to help clean-up existing deposits in your engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
The V-power label Shell are using applies to both their top end petrol (Gasoline) and diesel.

This link is for the Shell info on V-power and it appears the new friction modifiers are just detergents, not some new bling bling high tech upper cylinder lubricant:

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fu...s-unleaded.html

Interesting part:

Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded with Friction Modification Technology (FMT) is designed to help reduce friction in critical areas of your engine, helping them turn more freely.
*Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle, age of vehicle, driving conditions and driving style
Actual potential benefits relate to a detergency element which is designed to help clean-up existing deposits in your engine.

I guess Shells MFT is basic chemistry comparable to friction modifiers used in other Top Tier fuels, MFT marketing hype after a reread of the blurb above.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Nice, thanks for that. They also mention corrosion inhibition, just like Shell does.

TRANSLATION: Fuel Stabilizer.
smile.gif

A fuel stabilizer contains top oil (carrier), corrosion inhibitors, and oxidation inhibitors, and demulsifiers.

Last edited:
Pontual has a form of PEA running through his veins.
grin2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Pontual is correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I agree with Pontual?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Pontual has the right answer?
lol.gif

Last edited: