Browning Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Winchester Model 70 with the boss system. I have never really played with it too much.

I have one on my Medallion Grade A-Bolt in .375 H&H Magnum. I like it a lot. It knocks the recoil down to less than my .30-06 A-Bolt. It has a standard sporter barrel without the BOSS System.

As designed............Stupid users apparently didn't understand the concept.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
As designed............Stupid users apparently didn't understand the concept.

More importantly, they didn't want to take the time to work with it. It's a very good system.... If you take the time on the range, and the ammunition to properly dial it in. Most "2 box a year shooters" don't have the patience, willingness, or the ability.

My 7mm with BOSS would set off car alarms at one range I used.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
My 7mm with BOSS would set off car alarms at one range I used.
That's why I stay away from comps. I gave up on magnums too when I figured out I didn't need them for anything I do.

I thought the alarm thing was kind of funny. The best part is I can shoot as much as I want painlessly.

My 270 W/BOSS is also a really good shooter. Fun and satisfying to dial in.

The Boss tuners work well . They allow you to tune the barrel the the load rather than tuning the load to the barrel. The guys that shoot the 22lr ARA matches have barrel tuners on their trick $$$$$ rifles and they seem to thing it tightens up the shots, The 22 lr rifles have really heavy barrels !. I shot one of the guys rifles last summer and did a ragged 1 hole 5 shot group at 50 yards and that is awesome for me because I suck at shooting.

It basically times the barrel harmonics so the bullet leaves the muzzle at the same point of each "whip" of the barrel. As far as whining about noise, they make the BOSS-CR model without the ports, for those with tender ears and sensitive car alarms.

Does barrel "whip" with the Boss tuned, change with bullet weight and ambient, or once set for that rifle, it's good to go?

Last edited:
Bullet weight and velocity will change point of impact. Temp, not so much. At least that's what I've found in the .375 H&H. However in the smaller calibers it might have a greater effect. It's usually pretty easy to adjust from one weight to the next. If you keep everything written down, you can simply dial from one load to the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back