I'm officially done with the ACDelco e-core hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that we have seen a lot of good ACDelco e-cores come through here recently. The addition of a real bypass valve is a huge improvement over the combo valve of the traditional e-cores. With this in mind, I decided to go back to ACDelco for my GM truck's oil filters. To some degree, the best filter for your car should be the one that is the OEM or OEM provided service filter. Obviously the PF48E is the OEM suggested service filter for this vehicle. In the past I ALWAYS used ACDelco filters (before they went e-core) So, despite being startled by its light weight as compared to the Mobil 1 M1-113 that I took off the vehicle, about two weeks ago I put the PF48E on the truck with complete confidence. Today, when I started the truck, I experienced more startup valve noise than I have ever heard before. It genuinely worried me that something might go snap. I just can't explain how off-putting it was. So, I don't know what the deal is. I cut the filter open and it looks fine. Maybe ADBV not worth a darn or a for some reason stuck bypass valve? All I know is this, filter came off about 30 minutes later and was replaced with a Mobil M1-113, which is also a direct cross to the ACDelco UPF48R. I guess I'm done with that experiment. It's a shame, in my mind a GM car is supposed to have a blue can under it. I might use the CARQUEST 86040 in the future if I can get past the hangup of too few center holes. It's about half the price of the Mobil 1 filter and looks every bit as good. I was really impressed with it (see cutaway). Either way, I don't care how good they're looking or what improvements have occurred, the e-core just isn't ready for prime time yet. It's just too minimally engineered. I'm done with it for good.

CQ Blue is a reboxed M1, so they are the same or very very close to the same. Use the 86040 with confidence
smile.gif

You can get a bad filter from any brand, its going to happen. I also had a bad e-core experience on the Uplander 3.5. I am not sure what the model number was, but after about 4000 miles the end caps were de-laminating from the media so that wasn't to confidence inspiring. The Fram Ultra is my go-to filter now. They are rock solid and are good up to 15,000 miles with excellent filtration / flow / holding capacity, all at an excellent price. I see no reason to look anywhere else.

I never had any issues w ecore oil filters, but I have never ran them more than 5K miles. Even the purolator classic whites

I don't blame you. I used to love AC Delco filters, and I could still see using the AC Delco Classics, of course. And yes, the filter from the dealer should be better than most aftermarket options (except, of course, where a filter company is trying to differentiate their premium product). There should be no OEM filter that isn't at least equal to a standard Wix, for example, in workmanship and construction.

It's odd that the clatter would start two weeks in. I think that filter hangs vertically down low too. Did the clatter sound just like you had just changed the oil?

It's not the filter. I run e cores on my 4.8. My truck sits for weeks. No noise starting up, even in winter.

I bought a case of e cores not knowing they were e cores. I've honestly have had no issues.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
CQ Blue is a reboxed M1, so they are the same or very very close to the same. Use the 86040 with confidence
smile.gif

When did this happen? I thought they were reboxed Wix?

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I might use the CARQUEST 86040 in the future if I can get past the hangup of too few center holes.

Too few center holes? Huh?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

When did this happen? I thought they were reboxed Wix?

CQ switched suppliers during the AAP takeover, a couple years ago. Some of the HD filters are Clarcor/Hastings-made, but the regular car filters are made by Fram.

I have seen the good and the bad with the E-Cores. I don't trust them seen way to much of the bad, I'm sure some have had nothing but good luck with them and I appreciate that. I also appreciate you wanting to use OEM I love the Mobil 1 filter and use it on the Hyundai with no issues whatsoever with long drain intervals. But at the same time on my newer Ford Explorer I stick with the Motorcraft again never having an issue, be it a media tear, a start up noise, or any issue what so ever. So use whatever makes you feel happy inside be it the Mobil 1 or heck even the Motorcraft equivalent I would even recommend I have C&P of both. But at the end of the day you need to be happy and not worry.

I've seen just as many poorly glued steel end caps come up as I've seen bad e-core end disks.

Don't forget that almost every time you start your cold engine, the pressure relief valve will open and let unfiltered oil bypass the filter. Its no different than if the engine uses its own pressure relief valve (recirculates unfiltered oil).

I believe on the GM 4.8L engine, the oil filter is mounted on the bottom of the engine with the thread-side up. The only "drain back" would be any siphon effect the oil pump has after the engine shuts off. The bottom of the filter is only like 1" higher than the bottom of the oil pan....and there had better be more oil than that in your oil pan! So I don't buy the check valve being at fault here.

I have had no problems with the ecore filters. On the other hand, I installed a Mobil 1 filter that was causing start up rattle on a GM 3.1 engine. After the car sit overnight, it was start up rattle every time. Never did figure out what was going on with that filter. 3.1 filter points down, and the bypass is in the block, so all I can figure it was just a bad filter, or some type of siphoning effect going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back