Power Washer oil change today

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 2 years and 10+ hours of use, I changed the oil on my pressure washer for the first time. It is a 4 stroke Honda engine, purchased the pressure washer at Costco. Manual calls for 15W40 oil, have lots of 5W30 M1 Extended Performance in my stash, so I drained the FF and added the M1 5W30EP. Ran it for 45 minutes today on the fresh oil and it runs perfect, however...

What is your opinion should I keep it in the washer or should I drain it and run a 40 weight? Please share your thoughts??

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
It is a 4 stroke Honda engine, purchased the pressure washer at Costco. Manual calls for 15W40 oil

Interesting, what engine model is it? Mine is a Honda GC190 and the manual asks for 5w30, 10w30 or if above 50F straight 30. The preferential grade mentioned is 10w30. The factory fill oil was a 10w30 (it came in a Karcher bottle). I have changed it once (after the first 2 hours or so when new) and am now using Esso XD3 0w30 (same for my snow blower). I find all the pull start engines I have ever owned are quite sensitive while trying to start them to the low temperature number so I like that to be quite low (0w or 5w) if possible. This GC190 engine is probably my favorite small engine I have ever owned, it is very quiet, starts on the first few pulls out of hibernation then on the first pull during regular use, uses no oil and is run hard for hours on end (idle - WOT - idle - WOT... etc.). Does your manual provide a chart showing viscosity choice against ambient temp or just 15w40 and nothing else?

Since you used a syn oil its probably ok in the protection area.
Only thing is it might use a little more oil buy always good to check the level before using anyways.

I would run Rotella T6. Given that it takes a QT or so and you change the oil ever year or two I would use the proper oil.

However I probably would not dump what you have. Just go to the proper oil during the next oil change.

For the last 20-25 years I have used M1 10-30 in all of my OPE, including my Craftsman PW. Never had an engine wear problem.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what model recommends 15w40? never seen it.

I've only seen chinese washers reccomend that. And it's usually in the pump side of it.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what model recommends 15w40? never seen it.

+1 never seen on a Honda

I've never seen a Honda recommend anything but 5W30 or 10W30. Look up the engine manual for that engine and you will find that Honda recommends a 30 weight. So you are fine.

The manufacturer of the pressure washer is the one that is probably recommending the 40 weight, which is actually a very good recommendation because pressure washers are ran at full throttle and full load for their entire life span.

So I would use that synthetic 5W30 with confidence. Next time you are at the store, pick up a jug of 5W40 synthetic for the next oil change.

I'm still using my free after rebate synthetic 10W30 Valvoline VR1 oil in my pressure washers with full confidence.

My Costco Sampson pressure uses the Honda GCV190 motor. Based on what the crowd is saying, I'm good with the M1 EP 5W30. Will run it for a year with confidence.

did you mis-read the recommendation or labelling? It could be 15w40 for the pump and something else like 10w30 for the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back