Narrowing down brake pad choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm putting new pads on the Imp while I have extra time most days in my life currently, since that's probably not going to be true soon. They're getting down there, I could probably go another year but I've been trying to find something to work on on my car and I may be too busy to do it in a year and end up wasting money at a mechanic.

I'm trying to buy pads from Amazon since I have prime and it's just easier for me, but I'm going to price shop the part numbers before I finalize. Basically I've narrowed down to Hawk HPS, Hawk Performance, ACDelco Advantage(suspiciously cheap... very cautious), StopTech, Bosch QuietCast, and Akebono Performance/ProACT.

My OEM pads are ceramic I'm told (no reason not to believe) and they have plenty of grab to send the wheels into ABS braking on dry pavement, but I don't think I'd want to go much less grabby. I'd like life + grab, noise and other considerations aren't too important. Don't track but do occasionally drive very spiritedly.

Can people offer me advice other than "I liked this brand..."? Like specific reasons or specifications for one pad or another?

I had hawks I didn't like. Ate through rotors like crazy then the lining delaminated from the backing plate 2.5 years into service.

ACD Advantage is a service grade for those who still believe in the name. I have used their rotors without issue.

I'd go for the akebonos or maybe bosch.

Dumb question, but what's wrong with the OEM pads? None of the ones you listed will really do anything extra above OEM around town if you can already engage the ABS.

The HPS, StopTech, and Akebonos are all comparable. They'll perhaps be a hair above your OEM ones but I bet you will not be able to tell the difference between them. I would also add Axxis Ultimate into that list, if they're available for your car.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Dumb question, but what's wrong with the OEM pads? None of the ones you listed will really do anything extra above OEM around town if you can already engage the ABS.

The HPS, StopTech, and Akebonos are all comparable. They'll perhaps be a hair above your OEM ones but I bet you will not be able to tell the difference between them. I would also add Axxis Ultimate into that list, if they're available for your car.

If I didn't want to pay excessive shipping, I'd have to pick them up at a subaru dealer which takes more time. A front + back set is $165 without taxes or shipping, I can easily get a quality set on Amazon for less, and I bet Amazon wouldn't even be the cheapest place I could find them.

I think you'd be happy with the Akebono pads, especially if the price is right. ACDelco Advantage quality may be suspect, although the ACDelco Durastop line is solid quality. I used Durastop rotors on my Honda.

Anyone have anything bad to say about stoptech? I can get a full set shipped from tirerack for $100.

Last edited:
Advantage is AC Delco's economy line. If you like AC Delco, consider their Professional line instead.

Out of the pads you listed in your OP, my top choices would be Akebono ProACT and Wagner Thermoquiet. If price is a concern, get the Thermoquiet when they're on rebate (Wagner isn't running the promo now, though, but they do have it often). If price isn't as important, then get the Akebono.

Pair them with Centric Premium rotors.

I've always had good luck with Wagner thermoquiets and they usually always have a rebate to make them cheaper. I've also used duralast gold pads due to their lifetime warranty. The duralast give off a little bit more dust than the wagoners but that's the trade off for the lifetime warranty.

I use centric rotors.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Agree with dparm, all pads above are good.

Akebonos are smoothest and last long time. Thermoquiets are a little grabbier and will do better if towing. Akebono owns Bosch now so not much different anymore.Ac Delco are cheap and low end anymore.

Personally I always go with Akebono now unless towing

My best results have been the Wagner Thermoquiets. Brake dust was way down with them too.

For my car, Akebono gets recommended a lot. Amazon isn't always the cheapest. I used the $40 off $100 code at Advance Auto and got them cheaper than Amazon.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Akebonos are smoothest and last long time. Thermoquiets are a little grabbier and will do better if towing. Akebono owns Bosch now so not much different anymore.Ac Delco are cheap and low end anymore.

Personally I always go with Akebono now unless towing

I'm happy with the Akebonos on my Subaru. Very smooth and quiet.

If I wasn't going to put Akebonos on next time, I'd probably go with the Wagner ThermoQuiet. Those would be my suggestions.

I've been very pleased with Akebono's ceramic pads in my son's Mazda RX8.

Bought some Wagner ceramic pads for my Camry and they have been very noisy. With rebates, they were downright cheap though.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Anyone have anything bad to say about stoptech? I can get a full set shipped from tirerack for $100.

StopTech is made by Centric. If you can get a good price on Centric Posi Quiet brake pads, then I would consider them too. They are already scorched, and come with mechanically attached shims. You don't have to do an initial break in.

I recently installed a set of Akebono on a 2008 Honda Civic, and they are working good with no squeals. Akebono did not have front disc pads for my 1990 Volvo, so I bought the Centric Posi Quiet metallic. Akebono only guarantees the brake pads for 30 days. I bought them from Advance, and Advance gives a three year warranty not Akebono. Depending on where you buy them from, you might only have a 30 day warranty, so that is something to consider. The Centric are 90 days, and that's not much better.

My order of preference is: Akebono / Raybestos Pro grade ceramic / Thermoquiets

Nothing on the market beats akebono pro act.

Bosch QuietCast I added to the wifes Acura,priced right and
made no noise ..

Factory pads were dead at 40K,hope these go further

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back