Any oil & filter combination to STOP wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

As engines get older, they start to consume oil. I think this is typically because of piston, piston ring, and cylinder wear.

If so, is there an oil & filter combination that would prevent this wear and keep an engine from burning oil?

I believe that the whole point of motor oil is to prevent ALL metal to metal contact. So, if I use a bypass filter too (I'm thinking a Microgreen filter) that filters down to a few microns, there should be almost no wear.

Am I missing anything in my thinking?

(Sorry, I didn't know if this belongs in an oil thread or a filter thread.)

Oh come on, If there was an oil/filter combination that would stop ALL wear, parts would NEVER wear out. I know some things last a LONG time, but eventually no matter what you use for lube/filtration, it will get worn, and need to be replaced, at least with the best available now.

Originally Posted By: old1
Oh come on, If there was an oil/filter combination that would stop ALL wear, parts would NEVER wear out. I know some things last a LONG time, but eventually no matter what you use for lube/filtration, it will get worn, and need to be replaced, at least with the best available now.

That's not my point. Engines today can easily go 300,000 miles if they're well maintained, but they still seem to end up burning oil as they get older.

I'm wondering if, by keeping the oil clean enough, it is possible to effectively prevent wear between the pistons and the cylinders so that the engine won't start to consume oil.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
Originally Posted By: old1

That's not my point. Engines today can easily go 300,000 miles if they're well maintained, but they still seem to end up burning oil as they get older.

I'm wondering if, by keeping the oil clean enough, it is possible to effectively prevent wear between the pistons and the cylinders so that the engine won't start to consume oil.

Sure, prevent wear, yes. Not Stop wear.

Gents,

As engines get older, they start to consume oil. I think this is typically because of piston, piston ring, and cylinder wear.

If so, is there an oil & filter combination that would prevent this wear and keep an engine from burning oil?

I believe that the whole point of motor oil is to prevent ALL metal to metal contact. So, if I use a bypass filter too (I'm thinking a Microgreen filter) that filters down to a few microns, there should be almost no wear.

Engines wear out eventually no matter how well maintained they are, or what oil and filter combination is used. It is a fact of life. Can you extend their life? Yes, to a point, but nothing lasts forever.

I dont think that there is anything you can do to stop any wear from occuring whatsoever,it is the nature of the beast.

But if you install a bypass filter, use quality oil, perhaps utilize certain additives and change it regularly that would be your best shot at prolonging the longevity of the motor.

Good luck!

There's more things in an older engine that can cause oil consumption besides the effects of metal-to-metal wear.
Cylinder head oil seals can get old, get hard or brittle and can allow oil to get past the intake and exhaust valves.

Everything made by man will eventually wear out and fail.

Engine wear is the least of my concerns. I'm more worried about tires, brakes and suspension components. At some point these cost more than the car is worth, then we get rid of the vehicle and start over
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: maximus
...Engine wear is the least of my concerns. I'm more worried about tires, brakes and suspension components. At some point these cost more than the car is worth, then we get rid of the vehicle and start over
smile.gif

Yes, but, I have an ulterior motive. If by selecting the right oil and filter I can make it so that the engine won't ever burn oil, then my kids (who have trouble checking oil) won't end up destroying their engine.

Originally Posted By: maximus
...Engine wear is the least of my concerns. I'm more worried about tires, brakes and suspension components. At some point these cost more than the car is worth, then we get rid of the vehicle and start over
smile.gif

Yes, but, I have an ulterior motive. If by selecting the right oil and filter I can make it so that the engine won't ever burn oil, then my kids (who have trouble checking oil) won't end up destroying their engine.

Change your tactic. Teach them the consequences of neglect. Let them destroy an engine. Sometimes people have to learn the hard way. I've spent most of my life learning the hard way.
smile.gif
if you're kids are responsible enough to have DL and own vehicles, then there's no reason they can't check the oil level.

Short of fixing the problem, your best bet is Maxlife or PHM to curb consumption.

Last edited:
Gents,

You can't stop an old engine from burning oil once it starts to wear out, all you can do is reduce the wear factors.

The first thing is to make sure that the CCV (Crank Case Vent) system does not block, as it will push oil past the rings and oil seals if it does. If you use a good oil that has enough detergents and change it often enough, a fouled up CCV is unlikely.

The second thing to pay attention to is fuel quality and injector spray patterns. If you use carp fuel and get gummed up injectors it will result in deposits that can damage both the valve guide oil seals and the rings. I use fairly good quality fuel and a can of Liqui Moly direct feed injection cleaner (Every service interval).
Using a major brand full synthetic will help keep the rings clean and Shell Ultra or Mobil 1 are probably the best oils for cleaning.

As an engine block ages, the bearings wear which can cause a slight drop in oil pressure, so it often makes sense to move up a grade from the OEM one. For example if you have a new petrol car that has an 0w20 OEM recommendation, move up to an 0w30 once the oil consumption rate starts to increase.
It can also help to beef up the anti wear additives with a older block by using a major brand oil additive like Liqui Moly Ceratec every OCI.

Those are the main reasons why I use Shell Ultra (Same as Penn Ultra Euro) 5w40 and half a can of Ceratec every OCI. I also use LM Diesel Purge to fill up the fuel filter housing when fitting a new element in my old TDI.

As regards filters, OEM, Bosch or Mann, but only if stamped made in Germany. It also helps not to change filters before the recommended max interval unless you have a very good reason why. Dirty filters are more efficient, unless they are either a new synthetic media type or are part of a dual filter bypass system.
There might be a case for using a major brand long life oil filter, but there never is a case for using a non OEM standard air filter. The washable oiled or foam ones are a disaster area.

Last edited:
Any oil and filter changed on any reasonable interval will bring wear to an irreducible minimum.
And no, motor oil cannot prevent all metal to metal contact.
A significant part of that fancy add pack is to reduce the wear caused by less than hydrodynamic lubrication.
Engines all wear with use and the best oil and oil filter can't prevent that.
Ensuring that the air filter isn't leaking or torn and that there are no leaks downstream of it is probably more important in reducing engine wear than is the oil and oil filter.

The majority of engine wear occurs from the time you start the engine until oil reaches approx 80 degC (176 degF). To prevent the bulk of the wear, you'd have to bypass that cold warm up period or effectively reduce it by 70-90%. This would not be an easy thing to do. Ideally you'd have to warm up the bulk oil to 180 deg as well as all the engine metal....before ever commencing the combustion process. One alternative is never turning your car off except when the OCI is up. Maybe Uber it across the country a couple times with multiple drivers.

All of my cars(and cars I drove) have been disposed of due to everything BUT lubrication related misfortunes.
I can ruin my Harley by running 0w20 in AZ summer,but that would be stupidity related, not the oils fault still...

Just make sure there is something in the sump, and it is still in fluid state.

Engines always burn some oil and are in constant wear. No escaping either, unfortunately.

Agree impossible to completely eliminate wear, but:

Pre oiling system for each startup

Bypass oil system

Synthetic oil

Quality filter

will be as close as you can get to 0 wear.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
The majority of engine wear occurs from the time you start the engine until oil reaches approx 80 degC (176 degF). To prevent the bulk of the wear, you'd have to bypass that cold warm up period or effectively reduce it by 70-90%. This would not be an easy thing to do. Ideally you'd have to warm up the bulk oil to 180 deg as well as all the engine metal....before ever commencing the combustion process. One alternative is never turning your car off except when the OCI is up. Maybe Uber it across the country a couple times with multiple drivers.

Just to add to that, the big mistake quite a number of drivers make is putting their foot on the gas pedal during the start. This causes the RPM to jump above the idle when the engine starts. Also it's a real good idea to wait 30 seconds after a cold start before moving off. The same 30 second delay before shutdown also helps reduce wear.

A good oil pan heater will reduce the time taken for the engine to get out of cold start rich mixture setting and into lean burn mode by about half. A more expensive and complex coolant pre heater will reduce the warm up time even further.

Early detection of a head gasket failure is essential, as even a small crack can result in anti freeze contaminating the oil, which is real bad news in both direct wear and sludge formation terms. Weekly inspection of the dipstick and an annual UOA are very useful, as a HG failure will often be one of the first major problems an old engine develops. Obviously any coolant loss is key to an early warning of an HG issue.

If an old engine does not suffer a premature HG failure, then the valve guide oil seals often fail next. They can sometimes be helped by the use of additional seal swellers in an HM oil, OR an oil additive of the stop leak variety.

Ultimately if an engine is well serviced and survives top end troubles like the HG or oil seals failing, the main bearings will start to fail from metal fatigue, BUT that will not happen until some biblical number of miles. Oddly enough if you use a real good oil and filter, changed at a sensible figure, the mains don't wear out on a good quality block (Older bearings were often made to a better standard than modern ones), they just start to break up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Agree impossible to completely eliminate wear, but:

Pre oiling system for each startup

Bypass oil system

Synthetic oil

Quality filter

will be as close as you can get to 0 wear.

Not sure how much difference all of this would make.
Much of the wear in any engine is related to its design for its intended purpose. Modern passenger car and light truck engines are designed to a weight, space and cost budget, all factors that compromise designs away from extreme longevity potential.
Duty cycle matters as well. A Ford mod in grandma's Grand Marquis might be done after less than 150K but the same engine in a cab might triple that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back