Limited Trip Transmission in Lincoln?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the daughter tells me the 02 Lincoln Transmission has been doing some stuff. It threw a code on the way back from Georgia a month ago. Then it was fine. It started acting up again last week. took it to a reputable transmission repair shop. It was down about 2 qts of fluid. Which was weird, because I checked it before it went to Georgia and it was perfect. According to the transmission shop. It's common for this transmission, the 4xn something to get hot and push out fluid. He said the clutch packs get worn and long trips really heat them up and they end up failing all together. He said if I drive it local, no long highway, it will last for a long time, highway trips will kill it quick. No road trips, he said. He did a service and said the pan was clean. I had this car since new and it got a transmission pan drop and filter change every 25,000-30,000 miles. My daughter is the only one that really drives the car back and forth from school and college ( dual enrollment). The trips to Georgia to see her brother are over. So I could live with it. I feel like I own less of a car now though. My wife says run it, my daughter is too hard on stuff, doesn't take care of anything and she is not getting the Ford or the Dodge and if a new car comes in the picture, wife is getting it. My daughter only has 1.5 years of school left and she is headed off to the Navy. My wife said it's fine, it's better than any cars we had as teenagers, which I agree. If the daughter wants a Georgia car, let her buy her own.

If the shop's explanation is correct, what about adding a big transmission cooler, like one of the larger B&M plate types? In your climate, an oversized cooler probably won't overcool.

I have a 2002 Continental with 70K miles that has been driven shorter trips for the 7 years I've owned it (5-12 miles typically...8K miles per year). Transmission is still quiet and smooth since the day I got it with 22K miles.

Now the 1997 I owned prior to this saw 25,000 miles per year on mostly 2-50 mile commutes every day, 5-6 days per week, over 7 years. And it also did a number of 300 mile trips to out of state car shows. Every month had a 100 mile trip. That transmission was perfect from 29K miles to 232K miles when I sold it.

Not so sure I'm a believer in the long distance kills transmissions theory. Now if you don't change your fluid very often, then all bets are off. That 1997 got trans fluid changes every 25K-30K miles. These front transaxle cars have the cooler into the side of the radiator. My trans cooler started leaking into the coolant system last year. Luckily I noticed it very early.

At 150,000+ miles that's probably pretty good for an older Ford/Lincoln transmission. I've only had 2 get past the 135K mile point (both to over 200K).

Yep, she's probably concerned about a lot of other things right now like school, make up, cute guys and not necessarily in that order.

According to the transmission shop owner, which was a nice guy and very knowledgeable. Even took me back and showed me the same transmission tore down. They put that transmission in alot of different cars. From Taurus, Windstar and Lincoln front wheel drives. He said they do put more clutch plates for the V8 s. The car seen several trips to Pennsylvania, which are over 2000 miles each. It hasn't lived a short trip life. He is just saying in a V8 setting it wouldn't have lasted this long without regular fluid changes. I would think long trips would be better, but according to him, it's the constant torque that makes it run hot and as the transmission ages, it can't take it. I was thinking about a bigger cooler. It does have just a little one. He also said Lubegard helps alot. It's the only additive he would use. Lucas he said won't hurt, but it won't do anything to really help either.

I know my trans in my truck will run hotter at higher vehicle speeds. Makes sense, as pump speed goes up. But it's just a few degrees, and it's not from slippage in the clutches. And it's nothing like heat generated from an unlocked convertor.

Throw a bigger cooler at it and hope for the best?

Hard to believe. I don'tknow the system in such car, but Long trip only kills clutches that already slips. The higher air drag force of higher speeds, make slipping worse. But, when the overdrive gear lock occurs by band in drum, instead of clutches, it won't kill clutches, since they won't slip.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
So the daughter tells me the 02 Lincoln Transmission has been doing some stuff. It threw a code on the way back from Georgia a month ago. Then it was fine. It started acting up again last week. took it to a reputable transmission repair shop. It was down about 2 qts of fluid. Which was weird, because I checked it before it went to Georgia and it was perfect. According to the transmission shop. It's common for this transmission, the 4xn something to get hot and push out fluid. He said the clutch packs get worn and long trips really heat them up and they end up failing all together. He said if I drive it local, no long highway, it will last for a long time, highway trips will kill it quick. No road trips, he said. He did a service and said the pan was clean. I had this car since new and it got a transmission pan drop and filter change every 25,000-30,000 miles. My daughter is the only one that really drives the car back and forth from school and college ( dual enrollment). The trips to Georgia to see her brother are over. So I could live with it. I feel like I own less of a car now though. My wife says run it, my daughter is too hard on stuff, doesn't take care of anything and she is not getting the Ford or the Dodge and if a new car comes in the picture, wife is getting it. My daughter only has 1.5 years of school left and she is headed off to the Navy. My wife said it's fine, it's better than any cars we had as teenagers, which I agree. If the daughter wants a Georgia car, let her buy her own.

Sounds a little off. Going on the highway, the TC should be locked. Not a lot of wear in clutches.

Things I take away from first post:

Teach your daughter to check her transmission fluid.

Find a new transmission shop.

Wife's friend had the exact same thing happen in her taurus. She let her (now ex) husband drive from Florida to Maine and he's a crackhead who went 90. Burped up fluid from the dipstick. They added more, slowed down "on the advice of someone knowledgable" and partied on.

I would absolutely fit a huge cheap cooler then put the car on a retirement plan, ie, no major investments.

Well from what I read when I was looking at a Lincoln with this trans is the following.

1. They do need to have the ATF changed more regularly like you did.

2. A synthetic trans fluid is best as it handles the heat better than a basic crude based fluid.

3. Some Lincolns have extra coolers. If yours does not, it is a wise idea to add one. Not only does it cool better it adds more ATF capacity so the fluid gets beat up a little slower.

4. Drive it easy and they will last, especially in V8 cars. Beat on them, and they die. It was a marginal choice for a big heavy car with a v8.

Ax4n transmissions overheat. They NEED a cooler and fluid changes every 30k miles. But if it's the original at 15ok it's well past average

Originally Posted By: Doog
Get it rebuilt and add a huge cooler.

Why not get the cooler first and cross fingers?

Also check if there is any TSB on blocked air vent. Once in a blue moon my dad's Taurus would burp a quart of ATF into my garage because the vent would jam up and the only way air would expand out of it is via the dip stick. Ford redesigned the vent via a right angle adapter and ask you to put in a long tube all the way up to the firewall, next to the brake booster as a snorkel. After that it never burped fluid ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back