a thumbs-up for USPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered some parts from RockAuto last Tuesday evening, USPS for lowest cost shipping. They shipped out Wednesday, from a warehouse in California. Great, I thought, all the way across the country, they should take forever to get here. I checked the shipping notifications supplied by USPS and was pleasantly surprised to notice this morning (Saturday) the parts were in the local post office. Parts arrived before lunchtime.

The system moved the parts promptly.
The tracking worked.
It's good to see the USPS getting it's act together, I've had pretty good results lately.
(I know there will be some grumblers that haven't had the same results, but I'm reasonably impressed.)

For the cost, USPS is much better than other carriers. The only slight problem is sometimes the tracking info on USPS site is slow and not accurate.

Come to think of it i have had no problems with them for over a month... I was getting everyones mail and they were getting mine but our new guy is pretty good... I hope they keep up the good work.

Hands down my favorite way to ship either US to US and certainly US to Canada. Never had anything lost or damaged and fair pricing.

I'm a semi mechanic at UPS. Does the USPS have to pay the taxes and make a profit to stay in business like UPS, FedEx and everyone else does?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm a semi mechanic at UPS. Does the USPS have to pay the taxes and make a profit to stay in business like UPS, FedEx and everyone else does?

They have federal oversight, but receive no federal funding. They have to be self sufficient, and operate solely on their margins. The only reason they've had major deficits recently is because Congress passed a law saying they had to prefund their retirees benefits 40 yrs in advance, and had like 5 years to do so...

Nope..they don't pay taxes. They doesn't need to make a profit and haven't for years. They are 15 billion in debt and continue to give service which they can't afford. Sure service is good...it is subsidized by debt it doesn't need to pay back.

UPS and FedEx pay taxes, make a profit, and offer just as good a service in many cases. When the Fedex or UPS person delivers a package they run. Never catch a USPS person doing that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Nope..they don't pay taxes. They doesn't need to make a profit and haven't for years. They are 15 billion in debt and continue to give service which they can't afford. Sure service is good...it is subsidized by debt it doesn't need to pay back.

UPS and FedEx pay taxes, make a profit, and offer just as good a service in many cases. When the Fedex or UPS person delivers a package they run. Never catch a USPS person doing that.

Their postage rates(first class mail, postcard ...) and services are regulated by Congress.

A small envelop weight less than 1 oz from Hawaii to New York costs less than $1.0 with USPS first class mail, how much it will cost if you use Fedex or UPS ?

I sent a 7 lb. Priority Mail pkg at approx 3:00PM on 5/10 from Small Town OH and it was del in Tulsa OK on 5/12...can't ask for much more than that. Interesting that it was scanned at the "hub" PO before being scanned at the "destination" PO...normal routine, I guess.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

A small envelop weight less than 1 oz from Hawaii to New York costs less than $1.0 with USPS first class mail, how much it will cost if you use Fedex or UPS ?

And just who do think pays for the real cost of this service??

Last edited:

They are required, by congress, to pay 6 billion a year into pension plans.

Uh...the person who purchased the stamp?

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Uh...the person who purchased the stamp?

I said the "Real Cost"

Last edited:

Why do I need to know and care who pays what ?

All I know is I can ship a small and light item to Hawaii for less than $1, and I don't have to drive anywhere either. The postman just picks a pre stamped envelop at my mail box and few days later it was at destination.

The same good service and low cost with priority package. Just pay and print shipping label then it will be pick up by a postman.

Can I have the convenience and low shipping cost with either Fedex or UPS ?

PS Do you care how Pep Boys or O'Reilly or Autozone makes money by selling oil so expensive compares with Walmart ? Or do you care why quart bottle is so expensive compares with 5-qt jug ?

Last edited:

The Postal Service operates like a corporation, not like a federal agency. It receives no federal monies. It rarely makes a profit for a variety of reasons. A public company like UPS has a much easier time competing across the US. First off, it doesn't deliver everywhere like the USPS does. UPS pays taxes but it can forever raise new money by raising its rates, issuing new stock shares and floating new corporate bonds.

UPS and FedEx basically scoop up the cream while the Postal Service is mandated to serve every square mile of the U.S.

All the ins and outs are things I do not know.

All I want to say is the cherry on my postal service sunday was removed when the USPS eliminated "surface rate" for shipments overseas. Too bad as it was a great way to send gifts to friends far far away.

It was so cheap. It was fun. signed: Happy Postal User (used to be happier)

For some reason consistently I get the fastest service from USPS if the items are coming from the other coast. I live in New York and I order from several places in California because I get the stuff in two or three days. When I order from here in New York State it takes a week or more. I've noticed the same thing for other faraway places--Texas orders fast, Pennsylvania or New Jersey orders slow. My guess is that routing of West Coast stuff is mostly via non-stop air flights, while stuff reasonably close must go via truck with endless stops along the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back