Bought some GC 0w-30 in the store today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty funny they still have this stuff in stock.

w2SugBd.jpg

lfTAdeC.jpg

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's TWO grades behind the current SN. Maybe speaking German helps it perform.

API specs mean zippo for the intended usage. This is a 229.5 / LL-01 / A3/B3, A3/B4, 502.00/505.00 oil. All high-SAPS. Being less than a xw40, to meet API SM or SN, it would have to be a low or mid SAPS oil (xw40s and higher are not evaluated to that same standard). So...when someone says "it doesn't meet SN", the answer is "yes".

And it performs quite well.

Most of you are missing the point. Regardless of SN or SL, that bottle is still old stock. Castrol no longer uses the Syntec name; it's now called Edge just like the non-Euro versions. Also, it's made in Belgium now, not Germany anymore.

Yes, even though the Euro 0w30 is still SL, the OP's bottle is not new stock.

Here is a picture of new, recent-stock Castrol Edge 0w30:

61-Gf5wiX7L._SL1000_.jpg

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Here in Maine (New England) at $9.99 per quart
smile.gif

That isnt BITOG approved pricing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: jdavis
Here in Maine (New England) at $9.99 per quart
smile.gif

That isnt BITOG approved pricing.
smile.gif

I only bought a quart for my snowblower, though if it was cheaper I would definitely buy it all.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
I Paid 1 dollar during the autozone $1 a quart clearance deal.

Great deal.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Most of you are missing the point. Regardless of SN or SL, that bottle is still old stock.

Old stock or not, it can still be found fairly often at retail in the old guise, and still meets the same specifications.

That might be old enough to be the former BITOG sacred cow GREEN German Castrol!

Fantastic oil regardless though... even though older much stouter than a lot of the fresh competitors oils sitting on Wally's shelves right now.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
That might be old enough to be the former BITOG sacred cow GREEN German Castrol!

Fantastic oil regardless though... even though older much stouter than a lot of the fresh competitors oils sitting on Wally's shelves right now.

I don't think it's THAT old. The green Castrol came in the bottle with the nut cap

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I don't think it's THAT old. The green Castrol came in the bottle with the nut cap

Just used my last two quarts of Green GC (2003 date) last week in my John Deere 345. Yeah I probably overbought a bit, but it's been a good run these 13 years. Everything from a Cadillac SRX to a Mazda Miata to a Troy Bilt tiller. None of them blew up, but probably could have had the same results with WalMart generic. But in true BITOG OCD style I felt better about it.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
I Paid 1 dollar during the autozone $1 a quart clearance deal.

I felt good about my $2/qt (x10) score in December until you posted this. At least I had the satisfaction of causing the store manager to do a few double takes. She said "This stuff is usually $10/qt!"

Originally Posted By: nascarnation

Just used my last two quarts of Green GC (2003 date)

Man....that was so long ago but at times feels like yesterday (when GC was all the rage).

Remember pscholte and the elves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back