Buying a used late-model VW TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, wife's Fit is likely a goner. She's okay, thankfully.

We're scrambling to get her into a different car. One of the local VW dealers just got in a very well taken care of 2013 Jetta TDI/DSG wagon. I took a test drive out of curiosity. Nice car, and fair price given the miles and condition. It's being sold as a used car, not as a CPO used. That's still allowed.

My only qualm is the ongoing recall. And the HPFP, but likely if it hasn't gone by now it won't. That's the only nagging thought if we buy it. I'd be fine with VW retrofitting an AdBlue system. Aside from that, it checks all our boxes. What say you?

I just looked at some new Fits the other day. What about one of those? They seem bigger than your current generation. Even a base model comes pretty well equipped with a sticker of $17.5.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I just looked at some new Fits the other day. What about one of those? They seem bigger than your current generation. Even a base model comes pretty well equipped with a sticker of $17.5.

We were going to get something larger that could tow a small pop-up camper at some point. This might be a good time to do it if the deal is right. We'd rather buy once instead of dealing with the taxes/fees again. 8% sales tax on cars in NY.

Do you have a link for it? I'm always a little skeptical when a car isn't certified even though it meets the age/miles requirement.

sciphi,

I am on the same boat as you with the TDI. DPF, EGR filter clogging when car is driven while the DPF is clogged, HPFP failure which also leads to having the entire fuel system replaced (a solution is available from 2microntech though, contain flow and pure flow. Together, it helps isolate just the HPFP from the rest of the fuel delivery system when it grenades. I suggest reading up on it.)

Plus, prior to 2015, 2.0 TDIs did not have a urea injection system. This is just my opinion, but that might make it hard for VW to make it pass emissions. 2015s has the urea injection.

After having said all of that, I still am tempted to get one though. Hehehehe.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Do you have a link for it? I'm always a little skeptical when a car isn't certified even though it meets the age/miles requirement.

+2

Ask the dealer what it will take to get certified, eg a few hundred bucks more or ???

I wouldn't really buy any story they give, except maybe, sure, we'll do it.

Most people buy a VW TDI because of what it is. You don't cross shop a reliable car like a Camry vs a VW anything if reliability means everything to you. There are people like me that wouldn't buy a Camry and would rather take the risk and own a VW. The risk can be quite big with a TDI if the HPFP goes bad. Long as you maintain the car, don't put gas in it by mistake, use a VW low saps oil and not live paycheck to paycheck, it can be a very, very good car to own.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Most people buy a VW TDI because of what it is. You don't cross shop a reliable car like a Camry vs a VW anything if reliability means everything to you. There are people like me that wouldn't buy a Camry and would rather take the risk and own a VW. The risk can be quite big with a TDI if the HPFP goes bad. Long as you maintain the car, don't put gas in it by mistake, use a VW low saps oil and not live paycheck to paycheck, it can be a very, very good car to own.

Well said!

I'm no VW hater. I own one and will probably own more in the future.

But I'd have some qualms about buying a diesel right now before we know what the final outcome of this whole dieselgate situation will be. Who knows if there will be limits on purchase dates vs. owner compensation. Plus, it appears that owners in certain states may be required to accept whatever software update is needed to register the car and pass emissions tests, if they're present in your state.

Well you have the HPFP risk, the emissions problem risk, the previous owners not caring for it properly risk. How is your risk tolerance?

I would think about a brand new TSI gasser instead. Pretty good MPG, very good price, brand new warranty, more power. People have been well under 20k on a new golf wagon.

I thought the Fit was parked, due to airbags? [Haven't kept up with the airbag fiasco.] Sorry about whatever the cause was.

DSG and towing? I'm not so sure... I hated backing up my 1,000lb popup in my car, up a slight incline; I had to abuse the clutch to get anywhere. I believe the DSG is a dry clutch. I'd be concerned about reversing. That, and it used to be, no towing with DSG. Maybe that changed in 2013, and maybe over in the EU they tow with the DSG--I'd research that before going further.

Toss in the (how expensive?) 40k fluid changes, timing belt every (120k?), the (how much? I was paying $9/L for mine) engine oil, and whatever else comes out of dieselgate... I hear the car is great and I'm guessing the deals are getting good. But man I wouldn't be able to.

Yuck. Run far far away. Fuel economy with a TDI means nothing when you're spending a ton of money on repairs. Cheaper to drive a V8 truck.

VW doesn't allow towing with the DSG.

Offer them $0.50 on the dollar of the advertised price and get in writing that they will make you whole after the emission scandal is finalized. See what they say to that.

You might not be able to register it shortly. Is this one of the dieselgate vehicles? If so there will be either a mandatory buyback by the dealer or a mandatory refit of pollution gear in order to allow it to pass inspection and be registered. Some of the vehicles are not fixable for the U.S. market--make sure it is not one of those.

Originally Posted By: supton
DSG and towing? I'm not so sure... I hated backing up my 1,000lb popup in my car, up a slight incline; I had to abuse the clutch to get anywhere. I believe the DSG is a dry clutch. I'd be concerned about reversing. That, and it used to be, no towing with DSG. Maybe that changed in 2013, and maybe over in the EU they tow with the DSG--I'd research that before going further.

Latest Golf diesel with DSG is rated to tow a braked trailer up to 1600kg (3500 pounds). Not sure if 2013's are the same.

Originally Posted By: hpb

Latest Golf diesel with DSG is rated to tow a braked trailer up to 1600kg (3500 pounds). Not sure if 2013's are the same.

Probably 1,500lb then here--seems comparing "over there" to "over here" the manufacturers swap kg and lb units. If we're lucky. My 2011 Camry is "not recommended for towing".

Probably 1,500lb then here--seems comparing "over there" to "over here" the manufacturers swap kg and lb units. If we're lucky. My 2011 Camry is "not recommended for towing".

That's insane - the Oz 2011 Camry is rated to tow 500kg (1100lb) unbraked, or 1200kg (2650lb) braked! Current model is the same, except for the Hybrid, which is only rated for 300kg (660lb). Still, sadly, that's more than yours can do...
smile.gif

OP, sorry for the thread hijack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back