Nissan SR20DET - looking for recommended turbo oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Been reading around the site and have found some great info on here. I have a 1995 Nissan SR20DE engine with 160k miles, that i added a rebuilt T28 turbo, and was looking for a recommended oil.

Typically i have run Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil1, but they have been in mostly stock vehicles. I installed a new cam in this engine and used Wallys Supertech dino(drained after 10 miles), just to help me clean out gunk from what i had removed and replaced on the engine. After that, I had fallen victim to advertising (and a promotion) and ended up getting some Royal Purple API 5w-30, however when i poured it in the funnel it looked like water and did not even fill up the funnel. Just seemed strange to me, like it is extremely thin. I have not started it with this oil, and plan to drain it right back out.

I live in northern ca, our lowest temps would probably be in the 40s or 50s that this car would ever see, and i was thinking about going with Redline 5w-30, but was not sure if i should use a 10w-30 or maybe even another brand besides Redline? I plan on have spirited commutes to work which consist of 10 mile each way open road conditions, and possibly drag racing every now and then.

Last edited:
GO with your instinct and use a Redline 30. In California 0w/5w/10w won't make any difference, go for the best priced option.

Last edited:
Just curious. Is this unit cooled by the vehicles cooling system? 2. Is it lubricated by the vehicles oiling system?

3. Does the manufacturer provide engine oil specification for this application?

Originally Posted By: jorton
Just curious. Is this unit cooled by the vehicles cooling system? 2. Is it lubricated by the vehicles oiling system?

3. Does the manufacturer provide engine oil specification for this application?

T28 is oil cooled
wink.gif

This turbo is a journal bearing with engine oil supply and is cooled by the cooling system as well.

Nissan factory manual says 5W-30, but that is without a turbo. I bought the turbo used and had it rebuilt, i never saw a recommendation provided from the seller.

Originally Posted By: sr20detfwd
This turbo is a journal bearing with engine oil supply and is cooled by the cooling system as well.

Nissan factory manual says 5W-30, but that is without a turbo. I bought the turbo used and had it rebuilt, i never saw a recommendation provided from the seller.

Is the coolant circulation an aftermarket add-on? I could've sworn that T25s and T28s had no provision for coolant flow?

I think you are right, some T28 are only oil cooled but this is an OEM unit and has coolant ports. It is off an OEM Nissan that was only available overseas from the US

Last edited:
You don't need to use boutique oils such as Redline that cost more and don't do anything any better. Castrol Edge 0W40 is a great choice for your car. Look for the one that says Titanium on the bottle. It is cheap if you have a Wal-Mart that happens to carry it in 5 quart jugs. DON'T worry that it starts out as a 0 weight. If anything, it's better as you get faster lubrication to the internals and still protects as a 40 weight when things heat up. The oil meets the Porsche spec meaning its good , contains some real PAO synthetic base and the oil itself actually comes from Germany in that weight.

Quote:

however when i poured it in the funnel it looked like water and did not even fill up the funnel. Just seemed strange to me, like it is extremely thin. I have not started it with this oil, and plan to drain it right back out.

It is a 30 weight oil regardless of what it looked like.

Base decisions on facts, not feelings or perceptions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You don't need to use boutique oils such as Redline that cost more and don't do anything any better. Castrol Edge 0W40 is a great choice for your car. Look for the one that says Titanium on the bottle. It is cheap if you have a Wal-Mart that happens to carry it in 5 quart jugs. DON'T worry that it starts out as a 0 weight. If anything, it's better as you get faster lubrication to the internals and still protects as a 40 weight when things heat up. The oil meets the Porsche spec meaning its good , contains some real PAO synthetic base and the oil itself actually comes from Germany in that weight.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

"ref RP 5w30"
It is a 30 weight oil regardless of what it looked like.
Base decisions on facts, not feelings or perceptions.

Take both opinions and run with them.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Group III also meets Porsche A40. Look at P. Synthium 3000.

The manufacturers stock recommendation based on regular service intervals and "normal" driving is as follows:

API SG/SH
Temp Range -20 degC to 0+

10w-40 Semi or Fully Synthetic
10w-50 Fully Synthetic
15w-50 Fully Synthetic
10w-60 No recommendation
this was their recommendation with normal driving!

want my advice?
they didnt have the oil avail today back then
use the mobil delvac le 5w-30 and you wont have issue ,just let it warm up to 100 f and let it cool 5 minute before shutting it off and you will have ton of fun.as a precaution you could put an aluminium wire from the head to the frame ! aside from this? those were great engine almost unkillable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back